cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VFM error 3 in vStorage backups (mapped full VM)

oschistad
Level 3

Quite frequently we see mapped full VM backups that run into problems when parsing active filesystems on our Linux guests.

What typically happens is that a VM backup job will throw a VFM error 3, usually while processing /var, and then simply stops reading data. When this happens, the backup job will never exit and stays running until killed.

The log will show errors like below:

8/25/2011 10:40:46 AM - begin writing
8/25/2011 10:43:39 AM - Error bpbrm(pid=5208) from client vmxxx.fq.dn: ERR - Unable to read metadata for index: 128353, VFM error = 3.

We are pretty sure that this is caused by inconsistencies in the file system - there is no reliable quiesce mechanism for Linux after all - but I consider it to be a bug that the ext3 handler simply stops processing instead of either skipping that file, or marking the job as failed.

But since we are seeing this fairly frequently I figure there may be other customers experiencing this issue as well. It seems to affect primarily Linux VMs, and ones that tend to have a lot of write activity such as a mail spooler or database node.

Anyone experiencing this problem that feel like chiming in with their experiences and possible workarounds?

(What we've done so far is to move known bad VMs into a different policy that does not perform file-level backups, eg a Full VM instead of Mapped Full VM).

9 REPLIES 9

pikachu
Level 6
Employee Certified

This is an open etrack right now. Please create a ticket and let me know what the case number is.

Dipendra_Singh
Level 4

Even we are facing similar errors in detailed status for our VM machines being backed up, NBU version is 7.1, we got the reply from symantec that this is due to filesystem corruption and needs to run CHKDSK for it. We are experiencing it for a VM with WIN 2003 installed in it.

pikachu
Level 6
Employee Certified

Give it a try!

oschistad
Level 3

Thank you pikachu, this is good news.

I have submitted a request and am waiting for the case number. Is there any messaging functionality so I can PM you, or should I just submit the case ID to this thread?

Thanks!

pikachu
Level 6
Employee Certified

I will be posting updates as soon as a solution is available.

oschistad
Level 3

So.. It appears that this etrack was not included in 7.1.0.3.

Could you please update with the current status of this bug? It's actually quite serious because unless handled it will block a policy from running again indefinitely.

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

What was the Etrack number?

oschistad
Level 3

You'll have to check with your colleague Pikachu, I'm afraid - it was never made public.

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Yes, Etrack 2435568 is still open for this issue.

Since you can't reopen your old case, I would suggest opening a new case, referencing the old case ID and this Etrack number and request an escalation.  Have a set of logs ready!