Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM client selection on Policy

Willie_SA
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Master and Media server     NetBackup 7          Windows 2008

When doing selection of VM client under Policy, only see VCentre name BUT no clients.

Credentials set and correct.

VCentre and ESX hosts added to hosts files

Display/setup file attached.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Willie_SA
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I think I solved this one.....

The procedure was the same as changing the HOST name on the NetBackup credentials.

I found the following in the Symantec NetBackup ™ for VMware Administrator's Guide -

Changing the host name of a VMware server in NetBackup (Page 40).

As per this procedure you need to issue the following command when changing the HOST name in the credentials:        

nbemmcmd -deletehost -machinename VMware_server_name -machinetype virtual_machine

Seems to me even if you delete the entry from the admin console AND bounce NBU, the hostname remains as an entry in the EMM database.

After I issued that command, I could add the new hostname and credentials - and could successful detect and add the VM systems.

I guess some times you just have to read the manual .....................

Thank you everyone for your help.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

hi,

it happens some times when you register the Vcenter with short name.

register the Vcenter with the name how its configured ( in your case  FQDN) 

use FQDN to register in Netbackup and then try to browse the clients and let us know the output..

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hopefully something like NBU 7.1.0.4 and not just unpatched NBU 7.0?

Can you use VMware vSphere client with same IP address and logon and see all VMs?

What is the vSphere version?

Willie_SA
Level 6
Partner Accredited
When attempting to add credentials with long name - Server not found. But PING to long name works. See attached doc.

Marianne
Level 6

Willie, which exact NBU version?

As from NBU 7.0.1 NBU keeps host cache for 1 hour. Any DNS changes or hostname changes should be followed by 'bpclntcmd -clear_host_cache' on Master and Windows backup host.

Can you confirm hostname lookup from master and backup host (if they are different) with these commands?

bpclntcmd -hn <hostname>

bpclntcmd -ip <ip-address>

Have you tried to install vSphere Client on the backup host and connect with same hostname and credentials?

Willie_SA
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Hi, The NBU version is 7.1 on windows. I have discoverred that the ID that I am using in the credentials cannot acces the environment via the vSphere. I have asked them for a diffirent ID or to fix the ID I used. I think this is the problem............. Waiting feedback. And will then test.

Marianne
Level 6

Willie_SA
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I think I solved this one.....

The procedure was the same as changing the HOST name on the NetBackup credentials.

I found the following in the Symantec NetBackup ™ for VMware Administrator's Guide -

Changing the host name of a VMware server in NetBackup (Page 40).

As per this procedure you need to issue the following command when changing the HOST name in the credentials:        

nbemmcmd -deletehost -machinename VMware_server_name -machinetype virtual_machine

Seems to me even if you delete the entry from the admin console AND bounce NBU, the hostname remains as an entry in the EMM database.

After I issued that command, I could add the new hostname and credentials - and could successful detect and add the VM systems.

I guess some times you just have to read the manual .....................

Thank you everyone for your help.

Marianne
Level 6

Thanks for the feedback Willie.