cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMware backups error

mmeeggaann
Level 5
Partner Accredited

I have the following problem, when I try  to browse the virtual machines to configure  the policy and I got  the message: “VIX connect failed and VCB not installed”.
My environment is configured as follows:

Master/media  server (backup host) - NetBackup  7.0.1 running on Windows 2008 SP1 (64bits)

The ESX server that has the conflict to browse its virtual machines is QA & DEV server wich has ESX 3i 3.5.0 version installed.  It's not a ESX server managed by the  VirtualCenter server.

In the enviroment there are production ESX servers (version 3.5) managed by the VirtualCenter server (version 2.5) working well.

The logs bpcd and nbproxy only show the message  “VIX connect failed and VCB not installed”.
The method used to backup is vStorage API. I dont have a proxy server configured, it is required?
I checked the document "Support for NetBackup 7.x in virtual environments" wich says:

Support for ESX and ESXi
NetBackup for VMware supports both ESX and ESXi servers. In this document,
any reference to ESX also refers to ESXi.
Because NetBackup for VMware leverages vStorage APIs for Data Protection,
there are no support restrictions for ESX or ESXi servers.

Does this affirmation apply for NetBackup 7.0.1?
I assume that  vStorage backups of  ESXi virtual machines is supported, am I wrong?

4 REPLIES 4

mmeeggaann
Level 5
Partner Accredited

I'll appreciate any help about this problem. Maybe is  a compability or support issue or I missed a configuration required to backup ESXi environment.

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Dou you use ESXi free version in QA & DEV environment? I suppose that, in free version, advanced features like VCB and VADP are not supported. Ask and clarify to VMware guys.

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
ESXi here means ESXi hypervisor architecture, not product name of free version.

mmeeggaann
Level 5
Partner Accredited

I waiting to the VMware administrator to confirm if the ESXi server has the vStorage API feature licensed.