cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VSP cache - Should it be on its on volume

Ron_Cohn
Level 6
I am running NetBackup for Windows Enterprise Ver 6 MP4.  Is it "best practice" to place vsp cache on the drive being backed up or should it be on it's own drive.  I have a 1.3TB drive that has less than 90GB free.  FlashBackup is failing and I am wondering since the default is to place the vsp cache on the same drive as the one being backed up, if this is not causing me heartburn.

Among the status codes received, status 36 was one of them.  However, while watching it "blow up" again, I noticed that physical / virtual memory were not an issue.  My gut feeling it maybe a vsp cache restraint...

Message Edited by Ron Cohn on 07-17-200702:06 PM

2 REPLIES 2

Stumpr2
Level 6
configure to put the cache files on the disk not being backed up
c: cache for the d: drive
d: cache for the c: drive

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
Hi Check the following from Netbackup Adminguide for Windows I

Cache File Volume List

The Cache File Volume List serves as a list of preferred locations for NetBackup to place VSP cache files. Volumes should be listed in this list as drive letters separated by commas and spaces. For example: C, D, E

The list indicates that all backup jobs requiring VSP snapshots will have their VSP cache files placed in a volume listed in the Cache File Volume List. If multiple volumes are listed in the Cache File Volume List, the volume with the most free disk space at the time of the backup is the preferred location for VSP cache files. If no volumes are listed, NetBackup will automatically determine the best location for VSP cache files.

NetBackup places cache files on one of these volumes unless it is determined that it is undesirable to use the volumes as cache file locations, even if it is specified by the user. The location is considered undesirable if a volume in the list is also being targeted to be snapshot. Because VSP does not allow snapshots of volumes already containing active cache files, NetBackup would not allow other VSP cache files to be placed in the volume.

And remember that you can configure the file Cache File size limit, to prvent your drives fill up.

Hope this helps, regards