cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird problem with VTL tapes.

smwoodcrafts
Level 6

We have a VTL with tapes that show as in the scratch pool, but are never used. I went to the robot and thought maybe if I freeze and then unfreeze them, it would recognize them and use them. When I attempt to do anything like that, I get an error message that states "requested media id is not assigned to this host in the EMM database. Media not assigned(95)" The media owner is blank and it hasn't been assigned. Does any one have any ideas? We are runnin netbackup7.0.1 and Windows 2003 enterprise.

smwoodcrafts

3 REPLIES 3

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You cannot freeze/ suspend a media if it is not in the media db.

Tapes that have been inventoried, are in the volume database.

vmquery -a shows these tapes.

When the tape is selected for use, it is given an assign time (one of the fields in the vmquery output).  It is then added to the Media database, and then commands such as bpmedialist will show these tapes.

The message you receive, is becasue the tape is not in the media db (is unassigned).  When a tape is expired, it is removed from the media database, and, providing it is not deleted from NBU, remains in the volume database.

I recommend this test.

Create a new volume pool (call it test_tapes)

Right click one of these media and select change - in the pop up window, you can select a new volume pool, add it to the 'test_tapes' volume pool.

Next, copy a backup policy, change the volume pool in this policy to use this new volume pool.  Run the backup, does it work ?  No need to let it finish, just se if it starts to write.

If not, possible the most likely cause is if the density type of the tape (eg. hcart/ hcart2 etc ...) does not match the density type of the drives.

Regards,

Martin (Symantec UK Senior engineer)

Rajesh_s1
Level 6
Certified

As per the error its seems to be the media unable to found in databse. Verify clearly that the media is available in the library or not . There is a possibility that the media is ejected from the VTL . Do an fresh inventory of tapes and check agian ....

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Other than checking density, also double check other tape attributes, such as hardware expiration date.

Please post output of the following for one of these tapes:

nbemmcmd -listmedia -mediaid <media-id>