cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why the NBU 7.1.0.3 backup the Windows encryption folder slow than no encryption folder?

Gavin_Tu
Level 4
Employee

Hi experts

I ran into a situation when the NBU7.1.0.3 master server backup its folder "F:\3Dxx" into the VTL, the size of the folder is 1.4G, but the backup speed, elaspt time is different if I encrypt the folder.

The encrypt steps:

1,choose a folder
2, righ click-properties-advcanced-encrypt contents to secure data-OK

I saw either backup to tape or backup to disk, the speed is slow for encryption files but faster for non-encryption files.
You can see the attached screen shots shows the backup speed, kb/per second, elspst time, kb wirters(it's a litter different for encryption and non-encryption, but the backup source is the same folder).

I also fetched the bpbkar logs, nbsu after the backup, job detaileds, please kindly advicse why.

Thanks
Gavin
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

If it's file system encryption I belive it's because Windows has to decrypt the files before Netbackup can read them

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

Hello Gavin,

do the bpbkar null test against the encrypted folder and non encyrpted folder, and will see the results.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO56131

rread time for the files will chage depends on the type of file.. in general database files do take more time than the regular flat file...

may be because of the encryption, bpbkar might taking the time to read the data..

lets see the bpbkar null test results and come to an conculation..

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

If it's file system encryption I belive it's because Windows has to decrypt the files before Netbackup can read them

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Perform the same tests with Windows Ntbackup.

What are the results?

Gavin_Tu
Level 4
Employee

Nagalla Thanks a lot for your reply. I will attach the bpbkar32 -nocont f:\3d 1>nul 2>nul logs later.

Nicolai, thanks a lot for your reply. I didn't see the Windows decrypt the files action in the bpbkar log.

Could you please provide more detailed such as Mirsofot KB or Symante KB about this?

I should get them my self, but I can't get them.

Thanks a lot for your help in advance!

Gavin_Tu
Level 4
Employee

Hi, Marianne,

Thanks for the reply,

Yes, this is difference when backup the non-encryption files and encryption files.

The later took more time to get backup, and you can refer to the original 7z file contaning the bpbkar log, screen shot.

Thanks

Gavin

Gavin_Tu
Level 4
Employee

Hi All,

Here is the testing result:

1,bpbkar32 -nocont F:\3d > NUL 2> C:\non-encryption-temp.txt

7:30:14.214 PM: [6056.3484] <2> tar_base::backup_finish: TAR - backup:                     4085 files
7:30:14.214 PM: [6056.3484] <2> tar_base::backup_finish: TAR - backup:          file data:  506160509 bytes  1 gigabytes
7:30:14.214 PM: [6056.3484] <2> tar_base::backup_finish: TAR - backup:         image data:  516373504 bytes  1 gigabytes
7:30:14.214 PM: [6056.3484] <2> tar_base::backup_finish: TAR - backup:       elapsed time:         22 secs     72277969 bps

2,Encrypt the F:\3d folder
3,bpbkar32 -nocont F:\3d > NUL 2> C:\encryption-temp.txt

7:42:12.763 PM: [2852.6112] <2> tar_base::backup_finish: TAR - backup:                     4085 files
7:42:12.763 PM: [2852.6112] <2> tar_base::backup_finish: TAR - backup:          file data:  506160509 bytes  1 gigabytes
7:42:12.763 PM: [2852.6112] <2> tar_base::backup_finish: TAR - backup:         image data:  535400448 bytes  1 gigabytes
7:42:12.763 PM: [2852.6112] <2> tar_base::backup_finish: TAR - backup:       elapsed time:        117 secs     13753352 bps

We can see the elapsed time is different. The bpbkar32 read the non-encryption file with about 68m/s, but read the encryption file with 13m/s.

So why this happen?

I will attache all this testing resut files.

Thanks

Gavin

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The Windows Ntbackup test shows that it has nothing to do with NetBackup.

See Nicolai's response:

The same will apply to any backup application (such as Ntbackup).