cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will a restore job need information from EMM database?

FlyMountain
   VIP   

Will need some help for understanding EMM database.

do we need any information from EMM for a restore job?

here is my DR procedure and usually it works fine but not today.

1. rebuild a server for master with same hostname

2. install NBU 7.1 and upgrade to 7.1.0.4

3. configure library with drives, load catalog tapes

4. restore catalog with "P" option (#bprecover -wizard, restore catalog without NBDB)

5. load tape to run restore (backup and restore through same master/media server)

* restore jobs keep failing with error code 2826.

* i can find images from the tape. Somehow with #bpmedialist -m <mediaID>, i couldn't find any tape status.

did i miss anything?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Nothing wrong with partial catalog recovery for DR. 

As long as you have added media to the DR installation and media id's and densities are the same as production.

So, if you have hcart drives and media in Prod, the densities must match in DR.

If you are using 1st 6 characters of barcode as media-id in Prod, check that the media was not added with last 6 characters in DR.

If all media servers are not present at DR, you need FORCE_RESTORE.... entries.

Please show us all text in Job details of failed job.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Can we see the full logs please

2826 usually means that the Master is not communicating with the Media Server correctly

Having said why are you not recovering EMM, it is usually the smallest part of the recovery and does contain an awful lot of information, including all of the media information?

Try running bprecover -r -nbdb to see what difference it makes but let us see more of the logs first

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

If you didn't recover the NBDB from the catalog restore, the tapes will not appear in bpmedialist commands.

At 7.1.0.4  the catalog info is in flat files, (the header file and .f file) and it is only these that are required for a restore.

(EMM is needed for devices and stuff, but I don't think that is what you are getting at).

The tapes, would have to have been inventoried, and thus appear in vmquery commands (volume database) but not in bpmedia commands (media DB).

Martin

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Nothing wrong with partial catalog recovery for DR. 

As long as you have added media to the DR installation and media id's and densities are the same as production.

So, if you have hcart drives and media in Prod, the densities must match in DR.

If you are using 1st 6 characters of barcode as media-id in Prod, check that the media was not added with last 6 characters in DR.

If all media servers are not present at DR, you need FORCE_RESTORE.... entries.

Please show us all text in Job details of failed job.