cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will stopping NetBackup interupt backup process?

marc_ionut
Level 2

Hello, i am using the ./bp.kill_all and ./bp.start_all to stop and start the netbackup.

My question is if after i stop netbackup, will the backup functionality still work?

Please help me. Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

When you say you are stopping NetBackup with bp.kill_all,  do you mean you are stopping a master or media server using this?   AFAIK, NetBackup should be gracefully brought down using the "NetBackup Stop" function in the goodies folder.  Personally, I would only ever use the bp.kill_all function as a last resort, and only after waiting a long time for any slow to close processes to fade away.  I have seen NetBackup take 45 minutes to stop using NetBackup Stop, and I certainly wouldn't be tempted to use bp.kill_all.

All backup and restore functionality completely stops when a master server is stopped.  Why would you think it would be any different to any other backup application?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

When you say you are stopping NetBackup with bp.kill_all,  do you mean you are stopping a master or media server using this?   AFAIK, NetBackup should be gracefully brought down using the "NetBackup Stop" function in the goodies folder.  Personally, I would only ever use the bp.kill_all function as a last resort, and only after waiting a long time for any slow to close processes to fade away.  I have seen NetBackup take 45 minutes to stop using NetBackup Stop, and I certainly wouldn't be tempted to use bp.kill_all.

All backup and restore functionality completely stops when a master server is stopped.  Why would you think it would be any different to any other backup application?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
bp.kill_all will certainly kill ALL processes on the server where you issue the command, including backups.

marc_ionut
Level 2

I understand, thank you all for the replies.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
May we ask the reason for your query? If you run the command you will see that a warning is displayed about running backups.