cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Updates

smwoodcrafts
Level 6

I don't need a solution as much as an answer to a question. Please forgive my ignorance, but I have been told, adamently, to never make any changes to a master or media server unless you down NBU first. How does this fit with Windows Updates? Do I set a time to do this manually and then restart? I another thread and the responses and it confused me a little. (Not a hard thing to do) Most of the responders do what they do with Windows Updates and restarts on the weekend. When do you do fulls?

Thanks for your patience with me.

Dan Seymour

4 REPLIES 4

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi

For our maintained customers we tend to do all tidy up workk on a Friday afternoon ready for the weekend runs.

A reboot of all servers is very nice anyway to ensure all processes are cleared down before the slog of the Full backups.

So i would allow updates to download but not install, and then on a Friday (if that fits in with your timings) install them and do the reboots.

As you suggest, prior to a reboot it is nice to do a bpdown first (making sure nothing is running of course!) and then check for orphaned processes as sometime on Windows it needs two BPDowns to clean it up completely.

Hope this helps

pikachu
Level 6
Employee Certified

pfff.... hardcore nbu admin run upgrades on friday @ 3pm!

rizwan84tx
Level 6
Certified

Pikachu,

What do you mean?

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

As a NBU master and media server are busy at night - you cannot do windows upgrades at that time.

So Just like you normally do upgrades when servers are most idle (like at night) with NBU servers  that work the midnight shift, you need to do the upgrades during the day, or when they are not busy.

I work with my windows admin - he ask me when he can do it- when I have NB not doing anything I give him the go ahead.  All change controls on them happen during the day.