cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would like to use a NFS or CIFS share as DSU for NDMP Remote Media Server backup

HYDRAman
Level 2

I'm looking for info on using a NFS or CIFS share as the DSU on my Remote MEdia Server so I can backup my NDMP device to it?

Does NETbackup support a UNC device as a DSU on the Remote Media Server or does it need to be a SAN storage device? I have used UNC DSU's on Backup exec 12 as storage units and they work fine doing regular backups but have never tried it with NDMP.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

schmaustech
Level 5

In our environment we use a Datadomain mounted up as a NFS filesystem on our Unix server as a DSU.  I do not think you can use a UNC path (\\servername\path) as a DSU, however if you can make that share appear as a local drive (E:\path on cifs share or /nfs mounted share path) then you should be able to.

Regards,

Benjamin Schmaus

HYDRAman
Level 2
Benjamin thanks for your reply, do you use 6.0 or 6.5 Netbackup ? are you using NDMP backing up to a remote media server? or just backing up to a local drive on a media server network clients?

schmaustech
Level 5

We are using 6.5.2.  We have 7 media servers and 2 Netapps using NDMP in a 3-way configuration.  I also have a site with a Netapp using NDMP in a remote backup scenario.  We also use DataDomains as DSSU 's and have the data replicate to another site where it can be imported into the master at the remote for DR purposes.

Regards,

Benjamin Schmaus