cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

a Exchange database is assure with a MS-Windows-NT type policy?

MariusD
Level 6
One question:

It is the Exchange database backed up with a MS-Windows-NT type policy?
I have a windows client with a Exchage database and I do a full backup for this client. It is the database also secure?

Regards,
Marius Demeter
9 REPLIES 9

Deepak_W
Level 6
Partner Accredited
dear,

1 if you backup db with nt backup your db will not be consistant

2. it is not recommended

there are new feature in 6.5.3 like GRT, leverage those

Stumpr2
Level 6
Talk with your sales reps and ask them about backing up an exchange server. You will need to purchase a license.
Here is a link to the documentation for Netbackup 6.x

VERITAS NetBackup (tm) 6.0 for Microsoft Exchange Server System Administrator's Guide
http://support.veritas.com/docs/279276

Veritas NetBackup (tm) 6.5 for Microsoft Exchange Server Administrator's Guide
http://support.veritas.com/docs/290211

MariusD
Level 6
but how can I back up the all database? With a MS-Exchange-Server type policy? 

and it is with a Exchange policy ...what a choose from Directives? not individual mailboses or public folders while it is to complicated.

Thanks,
Marius D.

MariusD
Level 6
I have a database agent

Stumpr2
Level 6
Marius,
Did you download and read the manual in 10 minutes?
That is the amount of time from my posting the link untill your first question :)

There are explainations and examples in the documentation.

MariusD
Level 6
:)) no, in 10 min 180 pages?? :))

Ok, I have a exchange policy and in backup selection I have put "Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes" and I have start the backup but come this error

"04.06.2009 16:00:47 - Warning bpbrm(pid=5528) from client ddcw1-s4002: WRN - unable to successfully enumerate folder: Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes:\"

what that means??

Deepak_W
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Microsoft Exchange Server uses Single Instance Store (SIS) to store mail messages.

SIS capability in Exchange Server allows the database to keep one copy of a message attachment sent to multiple users on the same server.

This is how NetBackup Exchange Agent works if SIS is enabled from the Exchange tab of the client properties:
1. Backup of all the emails
2. Backup of all the attachments

If an attachment has been deleted after the mailbox it belongs to has been backed up, the error above is returned.

The workaround is to ensure that the users do not delete their attachments after their mailbox backup has been initiated.

Note: Single Instance Store (SIS) is an architecture designed to maintain duplicate files with a minimum of disk, cache, and backup media overhead.
Single Instance Store backup, or SIS backup, is an Application Programming Interface (API) that backup applications call to access the SIS architecture. 

ckeck this link for further reading 

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/258986.htm

MariusD
Level 6
ok and what I must to do? to run the backup good? I did not understand very well.

Thanks,
Marius D.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

Read the details in the manual
you have options of backing up by mail box - takes longer
or by mail store
or all mail stores

It all depends on your window size and how many tape drives you can write to and how much work you exchange server can handle to see how many jobs you can run at once.

You have to figure out what is best for your environment.

I don't see where you state if it is exchange 2007 or 2003 - there is a difference in how it is going to work and how restores are done.

you also have the option of backing up to disk that can give you single item restore ability.

Read the manual - talk to your management and find out what they require - then see what you have to do to get that.  Then try setting it up - when you run into an issue you cannot get past come back and give us details on that.

also make sure the the user name that netbackup was installed on the exchange server with is set up to do exchange admin rights in the database.  If it does not have exchange rights it will not be able to back it up.