cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup with LTO3 and LTO6

mouna
Level 4

Hi,

In my robot, i have 4 LTO6 drives and 4 LTO3 drives. The drive type of LTO3 and LTO6 is HCART3 in my master/media server.

I have 2 storage units, one for LTO3 and the other for LTO6. the 2 storage units have "hcart3" density and the media type for LTO3/LTO6 is hcart3.

My question is : how Netbackup can tell to LTO6 drive to backup to LTO6 tapes and to LOT3 drive to backup or to restore from LTO3 tapes ? At the moment i have a problem, the LTO6 drives try to restore from LTO3 tapes, then my restore is ko.

Any ideas please ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

netbackup can not.. netbackup works with Denisty type.. and master server configured 2 different tapes & drives with same density.. so netbackup things that all are same and trying to use those...

you need to reconfigure them with proper density...

lets say you LTO3 is configured with Hcart3 and keep the LTO3 tapes as Hcart3

and reconfigure the LTO6 Drives as other than Hcart3.. ( may be Hcart or Hcart2) and also configured the LTO 6 tapes same as Drives( Hcart or Hcart2) .. and create a storage unit also with the same Density.

this only will fix your issue..

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

netbackup can not.. netbackup works with Denisty type.. and master server configured 2 different tapes & drives with same density.. so netbackup things that all are same and trying to use those...

you need to reconfigure them with proper density...

lets say you LTO3 is configured with Hcart3 and keep the LTO3 tapes as Hcart3

and reconfigure the LTO6 Drives as other than Hcart3.. ( may be Hcart or Hcart2) and also configured the LTO 6 tapes same as Drives( Hcart or Hcart2) .. and create a storage unit also with the same Density.

this only will fix your issue..

sri_vani
Level 6
Partner

1)Create LT03 TAPES into 1 pool

2)Create LT06 Tapes into another pool

3)Create policy --- wid the combination of lto3 volume pool and lto3 stg unit

and vise versa lto6 vol pool +lto6 stg unit..

It works only for backup.

Actually the concept of Storage Unit is applicable only for write operations (backup, duplication destination etc.). Read operations does not use the concept of Storage Unit.

For Restore:If you are trying to restore LTO3 Tapes keep LTO6 Tape Drives Busy or unavilable

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I agree with Nagalla - config LTO6 drives, media and STU as different density.

If you leave them all as same density, NBU will try to use all media in all drives. Before long you will have DOWN drives and frozen media...

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited
This is one area I wish could be sorted out. If LTO media was given their own densities (LTO4 / LTO5 etc ) then NBU could be intelligent enough to know that it could load for example, LTO4 media into an LTO6 drive for restore, but not write, but not LTO6 media into and LTO4 drive etc ...

rookie11
   VIP   

added 2 more points on Nagalla's advice. -- configure LTO3 tape drives with Hcart3 on media server A then configure  LTO6 Drives as other than Hcart3 on media server B. 

at path /usr/openv/netbackup/db/config/  

create a touch file USE_BACKUP_MEDIA_SERVER_FOR_RESTORE . When you perform restore data from media will be read by media server which performed backup. hence storage unit HCART3 or other than HCART3 will come into picture.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I do not agree with configuring 2 different drive types with same density.
NBU will try to mount same media in the different drives.
Different pool names can be used, but this means that a Scratch pool can never be used.

Best is to config different drive types and media with different densities.

By the way - for tape, the default is to use same media server who wrote the backup for restore as well. No special config needed.

USE_BACKUP_MEDIA_SERVER_FOR_RESTORE is meant for disk storage units where multiple media servers are configured to use the same Storage Server/Disk Pool. See http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH124885

sri_vani
Level 6
Partner

Different pool names can be used, but this means that a Scratch pool can never be used.

Best is to config different drive types and media with different densities.

.....Gotcha...Thank you Marianne..I frgt this imp point sad..

mouna
Level 4

HI,

It's ok for me.

Thanks.