cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

better platform for master/media server

manatee
Level 6

NBU 7.6.0.4

i'm making a plan to move my master/media server to another server. currently, it is being hosted on a linux 6.x server.

which platform should i move it to, Windows Server 2012 R2 or remain in Linux 6.x ? i'm not referring to GUI vs CLI thing or a Windows vs *nix, but which do you find better for managing NBU?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

revarooo
Level 6
Employee
Personally I prefer Linux. It is easier to write scripts to automate tasks. You can do this on Windows too but I just prefer Linux. If you wanted to migrate from Linux to Windows and wanted to take all of the historic backup images with you from your current Linix setup you would need to pay a consultant or symantec partner to do this as only they have the tools to migrate master servers from 1 platform to another

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

revarooo
Level 6
Employee
Personally I prefer Linux. It is easier to write scripts to automate tasks. You can do this on Windows too but I just prefer Linux. If you wanted to migrate from Linux to Windows and wanted to take all of the historic backup images with you from your current Linix setup you would need to pay a consultant or symantec partner to do this as only they have the tools to migrate master servers from 1 platform to another

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
It all depends what you are comfortable with. A Windows expert will tell you Windows. Others who prefer Unix/Linux will tell you Linux. I like Linux because scripting is a lot easier (if you are not a Windows boffin), it hardly ever needs a reboot - most changes (even devices) can be done without a reboot, etc etc. Licensing for Windows and Linux is the same, but as per revarooo's post, you need consulting services to migrate Linux to Windows.

cruisen
Level 6
Partner Accredited

If you have ever played with the java console, definetely you will prefere wondows. Mostly all can be acomplished on the administartion console of NBU now.

The better handling of the windows console console is for me a reason to go with windows. Off course you can always mix environments to have the windows console on your media server, and the master linux, but for a purely master equal to media server I would go for the better console.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Bear in mind that the Windows Admin Console is gone as from NBU 7.7.

manatee
Level 6

consulting fee? just for moving from one platform to another? i guess i'll stick with linux then. well forced to.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

The migration from one OS to another is not straightforward ....