cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bplist command fails while doing on tape check from SQL Server.

chandrasekarmp
Level 4

Hi All,

I have a server SQL Server A which was backed up in Master server ABC with version 6.5.4. Recently we have migrated SQL DBA server/client to our New Master server 7.1. Backups are completing successfully in our New Master server for DBA Client.

We have a concern from SQL DBA Team that, On Tape check is failling from the day we have moved the client to new master server.

bplist command work fine in new master server. but it fails from SQL Client.

Error from SQL:  

Executed as user: FM\svc-mssqlfutures. sp_dba_OnTapeCheck: LONMS06418\PMLNFHM01: OnTape Check Error. One of more files are not verified as on tape for more then 3 days. Please investigate. For further information check the tblDumps.OnTape and tblCopiedDumps.Ontape entries, and check the error log for messages. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 50000)  sp_dba_OnTapeCheck: Starting Procedure. [SQLSTATE 01000] (Error 50000)  sp_dba_OnTapeCheck: Version 2 Revision 0 [SQLSTATE 01000] (Error 50000)  sp_dba_OnTapeCheck: 'ONTAPE CHECK COPIES' setting disabled of missing. Copied Dumps will not be checked. [SQLSTATE 01000] (Error 50000)  sp_dba_OnTapeCheck: Calculated backup host name to be: lonmb06418 [SQLSTATE 01000] (Error 50000)  sp_dba_OnTapeCheck: Note: to manually override the backup host add or alter the ServerInfo Key 'ONTAPE BACKUP HOST'. [SQLSTATE 01000] (Error 50000)  sp_dba_OnTapeCheck: Starting to query backups. Command from ServerInfo is: ""C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\bin\bplist.exe"  -C @BackupHost -t 13 -R -I -b -l -s @Date "@BackupFile"" [SQLSTATE 01000] (Error 50000)  sp_dba_OnTapeCheck: Running Command: ""C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\bin\bplist.exe"  -C lonmb06418 -t 13 -R -I -b -l -s 09/09/2012 "H:\MSSQL2008R2\MSSQL10_50.PMLNFHM01\MSSQL\BACKUP\*"" [SQLSTATE 01000] (Error 50000)  sp_dba_OnTapeCheck: ReturnCode 135 Quering Backup System. EXIT STATUS 135: client is not validated to perform the requested operation [SQLSTATE 01000] (Error 50000)  sp_dba_OnTapeCheck: Command: ""C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\bin\bplist.exe"  -C lonmb06418 -t 13 -R -I -b -l -s 09/09/2012 "H:\MSSQL2008R2\MSSQL10_50.PMLNFHM01\MSSQL\BACKUP\*"" [SQLSTATE 01000] (Error 50000).  NOTE: The step was retried the requested number of times (3) without succeeding.  The step failed.

I guess there is some thing which needs to be done on our new master server to authenticate the SQL DBA client to execute bplist command.

any help...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

chandrasekarmp
Level 4

Issue fixed as per the below forum update by Quebek..

quebek

"Created an altnames directory in the following location, then placed the empty file inside of the directory:
/usr/openv/netbackup/db/altnames/No.Restrictions

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/backup-and-restore-different-server

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Correct. A Client can have many Server entries but only one Master.

List and Restore requests are always sent to the Master.

If you really to list/restore from old master, you need to change Master entry on the client.

Either use Client BAR GUI (Server to use for backup and restores) or use regedt32 to change 1st SERVER entry.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

The type in bplist shoud be 15 not 13. Type 13 is Windows fils system backups. Type 15 is MQ SQL.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH27299

C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\bin\bplist.exe"  -C @BackupHost -t 15 -R -I 

chandrasekarmp
Level 4

Thanks for yor comments Marianne and Nicolai..

Marianne... I will check your idea and will get back to you....

Nicolai... We are backing up the DBA files as Filesystem backups.

(DBA team will dump their files in backup dump location and from there we used to backup those files as File Systems backup)

any how thanks for your updates.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

ahh - I now get it. I think you need to add the -S qualifier. Using the -S qualifier you can point to the master server in question.

From the (unix) manual - but work the same on Windows.

-S master_server
                  Specifies the name of the NetBackup server. The  default  is
                 the   first   SERVER   entry  found  in  the  /usr/openv/netâ
                 backup/bp.conf file.

chandrasekarmp
Level 4

Nicolai... Oue client server is Windows machine and it has the first entry as our New Master server entry in registry.

Marianne... There is notning to be changed in GUI or Registry as all the entries specifies the new master server.

If i try to do click on select files for restore on client BAR GUI, i get an error message that,

(ERROR: client is not validated to use the server).

I think we need to create a null file of 0kb in size in new master server as the client is unable to validate the new master server.

any other idea....

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The Registry entry change will be a temporary change to ensure client connects to old master to browse for backups.

Another option: Ensure old master has SERVER entry on client.
Add '-S <old-master>' to bplist command.

The only other alternative is to run bplist command on the old master. If restore is required, you will need to perform the restore from the old master. Because this is a normal filesystem backup, there is no need to start list/restore from the client. Ensure that Client has old server listed as Server.

PS: Is old master up and running? Listening for incoming requests?

TN regarding the error: http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO50900

chandrasekarmp
Level 4

Hi Marriane... You are completely out of the issue. Actaully, the issue is, our On Tape Check is failling for DBA Team. while investigating.. I found that we get the below error from client BAR GUI when i click on Select files for restore.

(ERROR: client is not validated to use the server).

so this is the issue.

sorry to confuse you here .....

Karthikeyan_Sun
Level 6

As per your logs:

sp_dba_OnTapeCheck: ReturnCode 135 Quering Backup System. EXIT STATUS 135: client is not validated to perform the requested operation [SQLSTATE 01000] (Error 50000)  sp_dba_OnTapeCheck: Command: 

Might be name resolution problem ? How many nw intefaces that client has ?

What do you see in bpcd and dbclient logs <16> <32>

even though below tech note for restore failure, this talks about same connectivity issue.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH20718

chandrasekarmp
Level 4

Issue fixed as per the below forum update by Quebek..

quebek

"Created an altnames directory in the following location, then placed the empty file inside of the directory:
/usr/openv/netbackup/db/altnames/No.Restrictions

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/backup-and-restore-different-server