cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bpsetconfig

reggiej
Level 3
I am trying to use bpsetconfig and always get a message that says "unimplemented feature". Any idea what causes this?
Servver version 6.5.3.4

We are a new shop for Netbackup and are converting from TSM.

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpsetconfig -i vzdtsm02_domain -h vzdtsm02.xxx.xx.xx-c vzdtsm02

unimplemented feature

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
DOCUMENTATION: A method for centrally managing exclude and include list for UNIX and Linux clients u...

e.g.

bpsetconfig -i <filename> -h <client> [-c <policy> [-s <schedule>]]

Writes the file <filename> to /usr/openv/netbackup/include_list  on the client <client> (the additional qualifiers <policy> and <schedule> allow the files include_list.<policy> and include_list.<policy>.<schedule> to be written to the client).

***EDIT***

So from the OP:

bpsetconfig -i vzdtsm02_domain -h vzdtsm02.xxx.xx.xx -c vzdtsm02

trying to create include list of /usr/openv/netbackup/include_list.vzdtsm02 on client vzdtsm02.xxx.xx.xx using the file vzdtsm02_domain  ??

As a matter of interest, what version of NB  (6.5.3.4 incorrect ;) )

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
bpsetconfig does not have -i  or -c options.
Have a look at the Commands for UNIX and Linux manual for command usage and examples.
bpsetconfig is used from cmd to add/update bp.conf entries.
What is it that you need to do?

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
DOCUMENTATION: A method for centrally managing exclude and include list for UNIX and Linux clients u...

e.g.

bpsetconfig -i <filename> -h <client> [-c <policy> [-s <schedule>]]

Writes the file <filename> to /usr/openv/netbackup/include_list  on the client <client> (the additional qualifiers <policy> and <schedule> allow the files include_list.<policy> and include_list.<policy>.<schedule> to be written to the client).

***EDIT***

So from the OP:

bpsetconfig -i vzdtsm02_domain -h vzdtsm02.xxx.xx.xx -c vzdtsm02

trying to create include list of /usr/openv/netbackup/include_list.vzdtsm02 on client vzdtsm02.xxx.xx.xx using the file vzdtsm02_domain  ??

As a matter of interest, what version of NB  (6.5.3.4 incorrect ;) )

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
is that an exact copy of what you tried?

The only reason I ask is that there is no space between your hostname & the -c. If that is the case then that could be why you are getting the 'unimplemented feature' error??

***EDIT***

Not that I can get it to work anyway!

In testing with (what I believe is) correct syntax I get "client hostname could not be found", so go figure!

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Thanks for this Andy - I obviously missed these new options that were introduced with 6.5.3!!
(The commands manual understandably do not list the new options.)
We never stop learning.........

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
which seems a shame.

Altho' the "usage" appears correct :

# bpsetconfig -H
NetBackup 6.5 -- Update Configuration

Usage:  bpsetconfig [-h "host"] [-u "user"] ["file" ...] [-i|-e "file" [-c "class" [-s "schedule"]]]
        bpsetconfig -H

Options:
        -h Specifies the host name ("host") of the server or client whose configuration will be updated.
        -u Specifies the user ("user") whose configuration will be updated.
        "file" Specified the file or files where the updates are listed. If not specified, standard input is read.
        -i Specifies the include file ("file") that will be set on the host.
        -e Specifies the exclude file ("file") that will be set on the host.
        -c Specifies the class for which the include or exclude file will be set.
        -s Specifies the schedule for which the include or exclude file will be set.
        -H Displays the help screen.

# bpgetconfig -H
NetBackup 6.5 -- Display Configuration

Usage:  bpgetconfig -M "master" [-x|X] ["config_item" ...]
        bpgetconfig [-u|h] [-x|X] ["config_item" ...]
        bpgetconfig -g "server" [-L|U|l] [-c|t] [-A]
        bpgetconfig -s "server" [-L|U|l] [-c|t] [-A]
        bpgetconfig -i "filename" "server" ["class" ["schedule"]]
        bpgetconfig -e "filename" "server" ["class" ["schedule"]]
        bpgetconfig -H [config_item]

Options:
        -M Specifies the Master server ("master") whose host configuration will be displayed.
        -h Displays the local host configuration (default).
        -u Displays the current user configuration.
        -x Excludes items not explicitly listed in the configuration.
        -X Lists all configuration items (default).  The -x and -X options may be combined with the -M, -h, and -u options. The -x and -X options have no effect if 1 or more configuration items are specified on the command line.
        "config_item" if specified displays only the specified configuration items.
        -g Selects the host server ("server") for which general Backup Exec or NetBackup information will be displayed. Currently:
               Master or Client
               NetBackup Client Platform
               NetBackup Client Protocol Level
               Product Type (Backup Exec if installed, else NetBackup)
               Version Name (for Backup Exec if installed, else NetBackup)
               Version Number (for Backup Exec if installed, else NetBackup)
               Installed Path for NetBackup Bin (null if Backup Exec installed)
               Installed OS for host server
        -s Selects the host server ("server") for which general NetBackup specific system information will be displayed. Currently:
               Master or Client
               NetBackup Client Platform
               NetBackup Client Protocol Level
               Product Type (NetBackup)
               Version Name
               Version Number
               Installed Path for NetBackup Bin
               Installed OS for host server
        -L Displays a long user readable listing.
        -U Displays a brief user readable listing (default).
        -l Displays a compact machine readable listing.  The -L, -U and -l options may only be used with the -g or -s option.
        -c Displays the ciphers, one per line, appended to the -g or -s option output. The -c option may only be used with the -g or -s option.
        -t Displays the tier information, one item per line, appended to the -s  option output. The -t option may only be used with the -g or -s option.
        -A Displays all available system information. The -A option may only be used with the -g or -s option.
        -i Writes the include_list from "server" to "filename"
        -e Writes the exclude_list from "server" to "filename"
        -H Displays the help screen.
        -H config_item  Displays the valid configuration items.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
Managing include and exclude lists via bpsetconfig is available from v6.5.4 onwards.

See page 180 of the v6.5.4 updates doc:
ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_Enterprise_Server/318350.pdf

Master, medias and clients that you want to manage will all need to be at least v6.5.4.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
It certainly does intimate that these are features new to 6.5.4, i.e. "The following are four new bpgetconfig options", but the T/N I quoted above says the -e & -i options at least were out in 6.5.3.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
I get the same "unimplemented feature" message on NetBackup v6.5.3.1 Solaris 10 VCS master.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
As a matter of interest, what "usage" do you get on 6.5.3.1 with the -H option (if that is available that is!)

reggiej
Level 3
Andy, my actual version is 6.5.3.1. The docs I have indicate this feature is available in vrsion 6.5.3 and higher. http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/316533.htm

reggiej
Level 3
Andy, my actual version is 6.5.3.1. The docs I have indicate this feature is available in vrsion 6.5.3 and higher. http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/316533.htm

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
Seems like sdw303 is getting the same on his 6.5.3.1 also. Only get an "unimplemented" error with a typo when I try on 6.5.4, but having said that I can't get the thing to work anyway as I mentioned earlier! Looks like they're releasing it in stages ( :D ) so maybe we'll get a fully functional version in 6.5.5 or maybe 7.0 !!

***EDIT***

Have got it to work on 6.5.4 now (both bpset & bpgetconfig) but only with clients at 6.5.4 (Master also). If I use any other client version you get the "unimplemented feature" error. So maybe the T/N we've been looking at for 6.5.3 was published incorrectly - or maybe bpset/getconfig commands were deprecated with 6.5.3.1. ?????

Think we need someone from Symantec to chip in here & clarify the situation!

reggiej
Level 3
I see on the first client I tried on was 6.5 and a client that I got the command to work on is 6.5.3.1. So it looks like the client has to be on at least that level for the commands to work.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
for 6.5.3 as documented.

reggiej
Level 3
When you set your includes/excludes on the client is it necessary to have a backup selections on the policy?

reggiej
Level 3
Andy, yes it looks like it works, you just can't have a downlevel client.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
when you set up the includes/excludes initially, but I would imagine your backup would be very short (0 bytes) if there was nothing in the backup selection list!

Bearing in mind, the exclude_list excludes anything from the backup selection & the include_list includes anything previously excluded.

reggiej
Level 3
I am now trying to retrieve a file using bpgetconfig and don't know why I keep getting  "file read failed"
bpgetconfig -i /home/rjohns/vzdtsm01_includes  vzdtsm01.serv.xx.xx.xxx -c vzdtsm02

An empty file will be created. On the server that the file is being retrieved from the permissions should allow a read
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root     40 Nov 25 12:14 include_list.vzdtsm02