cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bpstart_notify.bat & bpend_notify.bat behavior

mbreit1910
Level 3

I am backing up an Enterprise Vault server which has multiple data drives.  Symantec provides start scripts to place the vault stores and indexes in backup mode and end scripts to take them out of backup mode.  I've placed these scripts in the ...NetBackup\Bin folder, but I'm not sure they are working as desired.  Do the bpstart_notify and bpend_notify get initiated by the PARENT job or the children?  It appears that when the first job finishes, backupmode is removed, but I still have additional backups running. 

For example:  A job starts which processes three streams: C:, D:, E:.  The bpstart_notify  runs enabling backupmode. If the C: drive backup finishes in 10 minutes, does the bpend_notify script run then?  I still have two other backups running that require the environment  be in backup mode!

It makes sense to me that the parent be the one to execute the bpstart and bpend scripts, but it does not appear to be the case. 

Anyone encounter anything similar?  Any suggestions short of having a unique policy for each drive?  Thanks!  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Wiriadi_Wangsa
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Hi Mbreit1910,

Indeed, bpstart_notify.bat & bpend_notify.bat are activated per backup stream, i.e. not by the parent job.

See: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH69986

I personally prefer to use NetBackup EV agent to back up partitions, index and DBs. The agent will set and remove backup mode granularly as needed. The agent is already part of NetBackup Client software and just need to add licence key on the master server to activate.

But if you have to do file-system level backup (using MS-Windows policy), these are the options:

1. uncheck "allow multiple data streams"  on the policy, so the scripts don't get triggered multiple times.

2. tweak the scripts as per above technote.

3. create unique policy per Vault store or per drive (ugh..)

All the best!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Will_Restore
Level 6

What versions are you using?  NetBackup 7.x with EV 8.x and above should not require those scripts.

Wiriadi_Wangsa
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Hi Mbreit1910,

Indeed, bpstart_notify.bat & bpend_notify.bat are activated per backup stream, i.e. not by the parent job.

See: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH69986

I personally prefer to use NetBackup EV agent to back up partitions, index and DBs. The agent will set and remove backup mode granularly as needed. The agent is already part of NetBackup Client software and just need to add licence key on the master server to activate.

But if you have to do file-system level backup (using MS-Windows policy), these are the options:

1. uncheck "allow multiple data streams"  on the policy, so the scripts don't get triggered multiple times.

2. tweak the scripts as per above technote.

3. create unique policy per Vault store or per drive (ugh..)

All the best!

mbreit1910
Level 3

Folks, sorry for the lack of attention to this post.  I never got an email indicating there were updates, so I never went back to the post.  I will be more diligent in subsequent posts.  I should have known better... there are always prompt replies on the forums!  Thanks Marianne for marking this solved.

mbreit1910
Level 3

wr... We are running NBU 7.5.0.6 and EV 10.0.3, however we do not have the EV add-on for NB, so I feel the scripts are still required.  Thanks.