cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to install platform specific Netbackup 7.5 binaries on RedHat 5.8

Daniel_Jastredo
Level 4

How do I install only the client binaries on Linux RedHat 5.8. The install routine installs binaries for all platforms and takes up at least 10GB of disk space. I need to install only the binaries I need in order to prevent the need of a seperate SAN attached filesystem.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Will_Restore
Level 6

I would log a support call then as that is a problem if you are doing the latter (install client software locally on a UNIX client).  I have not seen this behavior (installing more than the required client files).

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Will_Restore
Level 6

I presume you are talking about the Master Server.  Unfortunately it does install all possible client architectures.  We remove the subdirectories for the ones we don't need afterwards.  I wish there was a way to pick & choose during the install. 

Daniel_Jastredo
Level 4

No, I'm talking about a client only. There must be a way to install the client binaries without all of the extras.

Will_Restore
Level 6

* edit *   scratch this and see the update below

Will_Restore
Level 6

Per the latest 7.5 Install Guide

To install client type software on a master server

When the following message appears, press Enter to continue:
Installing NetBackup Client Software.
Do you wish to continue? (y/n) [y]

Select all of the client types that you want to install and follow the installation
prompts

To install client software locally on a UNIX client

When the following message appears, press Enter to continue:
Installing NetBackup Client Software.
Do you wish to continue? (y/n) [y]

The installation
procedure attempts to load the appropriate binaries for your system. If the
script does not recognize the local operating system, it presents choices.

You don't get those prompts ? 

Daniel_Jastredo
Level 4

The install script does detect the OS but still lays down the tar files for the other OS's.

Will_Restore
Level 6

I would log a support call then as that is a problem if you are doing the latter (install client software locally on a UNIX client).  I have not seen this behavior (installing more than the required client files).

RadovanTuran
Level 4

I tried to extract the installation package, delete directories of all unnecessary platorms, create package archives back and...
...no luck. "install" script failed.

I found as solution to create command line push installation from RH server. As our network uses firewalls everywhere push method is not usable but I had one client on the same subnet as master server.

Push installation create pre-configured package and copy it to /tmp on the client. You have to fo to client, extract this package and run install script. Therefore just keep copy of this package (for each Linux version), copy it over clients (if your network doesn't allow push from NBU server) and install manually. Such package is pretty small. Just watch out as installation will remove the package file too. Keep a copy.
You have to manually edit bp.conf as it's prepared for the first initial used client.

Daniel_Jastredo
Level 4

We were able to remove all of the unnecessary platforms from the install package and still have the script work. Running "ftp_to_client" from another server should also work.

Thanks.