cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can i find the file owner

manatee
Level 6

NBU 7.6.0.3

when NBU encounters a locked file or access denied because someone have the file opened during backup, is there a way for NBU to know the identity of the account who caused the access denied?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

This MS tool can show you:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processexplorer.aspx

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

nbutech
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Usually you backup the client with the admin privileges so you get access to backup the whole system

Most likely system files get missed when some other application is using it as it does not gain access to it

I don't remember of seeing NBU to determine who the actual user is who locked the file..but you can take a look at bpbkar log with verbosity

nbutech
Level 6
Accredited Certified

If your purpose is to alert the other user about the backup job is running you can enable tracker.exe on Windows

The NetBackup Client Job Tracker's purpose is to inform the user that a backup or restore is being performed on the client machine. The NetBackup Client Job Tracker also gives an estimate of job size and current status..

Note: Enabling it can cause some performace degradation

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

This MS tool can show you:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processexplorer.aspx

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Look in the .f file

In .../netbackup/db/images/<client>/<first for digits of backup ctime/  dir are the .f files for the backups.  Find the backup in question :

<policyname>_<ctime>.f

This is effeivly a list of files in the backup, you can read it with :

cat_convert -dump <policyname_ctime>.f

In one of the colums towards the right of the filename, you will see the owner.  To the best of my knowlwedge there is no NBU command that will show this, you have to look in the .f file itself.