cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

capacity based license

DPO
Level 6

How can find that how much data is supported by a capacity based license key.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I have tried to explain in my previous post...

You only count 5 GB on the client. That is what you are protecting. Do not count the amount of backups in your environment.

In short - count 1 FULL backup for each client.

nbdeployutil will help you to determine Front-end capacity: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH148678

Capacity based license is sold per TB.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

DPO
Level 6

Thanks but...my question is, say I have a capacity based license key with me. Using that how can I find out how much data does this license support for backups (without contacting Symantec)?

I ran nbdeployutil but did not give me what i was looking for...

Marianne
Level 6

Capacity based license is priced per 'front end Terrabyte'. 

This means you need to licensed for the total amount of data that you backup on Client systems. The number of full and incrementals are irrelevant.

So, if you have 5 TB on all clients in total, a license for 5 TB will allow you to take as may FULL and INC backups as you like. Your only limitation will be backup storage.

PS: Capacity license includes all features and options, except dedupe.

*** EDIT ****

Number of TB will be on your license key certificate.

Information is not stored in NBU installation.  

You will also be able to find it on the Licensing Portal: https://licensing.symantec.com

Only other alternative is to request IBR from Symantec.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I think I know what you are saying here - so see if this works for you ....

Open the Windows Admin Console - go to Help - License Keys

When the license keys screen opens up select the Summary of Active Capacity-Based License Features

This should give you are value in TB for the licenses in the system - of course this will be all of them so if you want to pin it down for just one then you may need to just install a new Master as a test - add just the key you have and then check it out

Hope this helps

Marianne
Level 6

GREAT to have you back, Mark! I never knew about this option in the GUI - just found it... blush

DPO
Level 6

Thanks all for your response. I'm bit confused about capacity based licensing. Let's say I have only 1 client whose data size is 5 GB and I've configured daily full backup of it. In a week 5*7=35 GB data will be backed up from the same client. Suppose if my capacity based licensing is 100 GB, after 1 week I'm left with only 100-35=65 GB license.....???? Am I correct ?

Can someone clarify about capacity based license with some example.

Sorry to ask too many questions.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Capacity is front end - in effect the size of a single total full backup

So you client whose data size is 5GB counts as 5GB against your capacity license - just a single full backup.

So a 100GB capacity license can back up 20 such clients as many times as you like and keep the backups for as long as you like

Marianne
Level 6

I have tried to explain in my previous post...

You only count 5 GB on the client. That is what you are protecting. Do not count the amount of backups in your environment.

In short - count 1 FULL backup for each client.

nbdeployutil will help you to determine Front-end capacity: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH148678

Capacity based license is sold per TB.

DPO
Level 6

I tried GUI option and it shows me '0' for used capacity (NetBackup 7.1.0.4). Also given the license key, is it possible to identify what is the total capacity ?