cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

change storage server ip address

lumir
Level 3

Hi all,

I have to move my OST appliance to new IP backup segment, it means to change storage server definition in Credentials. But there are still plenty of valid backups using this target. 

I could not find out how to change ip address, registraton name (it is derived from ip address) of used storage server on the fly. Even NBU cannot delete the registered storage server because there are disk pool and storage unit with valid backups.

Please, do you have any idea how to solve this?

Thanks

lumir

6 REPLIES 6

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

hi,

if you are just changing the IP address not the storage server name,  you can directly go ahead and do that.. and update the respective DNS and etc/hosts files with new IP address as required.

you may also need to run bpclntcmd -clear_host_cache to test in immediatlly.

this is becuase netbackup use hostnames  not the IP address, so as long as you dont chage the Host names , and only changing the IP address does not require to remove and re-add the storage servers/meida server/clients

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

How did you add the storage server initially? As as hostname or as IP address?

As hostname will be as easy as updating DNS or hosts files on master and all media servers.

lumir
Level 3

According to the OST appliance manual the storage server name MUST BE a string consists of 3 parts:

- a name defined by configuration OST

- underscore

- IP address of appliance

In my case, the current storage server name in NBU is CS800A_192.168.240.44, but should be CS800A_192.168.220.44 after moving.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

It helps if you tell us which OST appliance...

Data Domain can be added as a hostname.

Quantum DXi needs to be added as per your example.

Let me see if I can find something....

lumir
Level 3

Fujitsu Eternus CS800, it is Quantum DXi origin.

huanglao2002
Level 6

Please call symantec for support.