cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

client process aborted(50) when running a manual duplication of image

blooney
Level 3

Yesterday (2/3/2010) I found an error in one of my policies.  The policy has several schedules associated with it (i.e. daily, weekly, monthly, yearly...).  Each schedule is set to run each backup to a corresponding volume pool of tapes.  For example, the weekly schedule will write the weekly backup to the "weekly_offsite" volume pool.  With each schedule, I select the "Override policy volume pool" option and then point it to the corresponding volume pool. 

With that said, I noted yesterday that each of  my monthly backups (since September) for this particular policy, have been writing the backups to my "daily_onsite" volume pool and not the monthly_offsite volume pool.   The tapes associated with the "daily_onsite" volume pool never leave my tape library.  So you can see how this is an issue?  After correcting the policy schedule, I found all the backups that were incorrectly written and started to duplicate the images to tapes belonging to the correct "monthly_offsite" volume pool.  I started one of the jobs yesterday before leaving for the day, to find that when I arrived at work today, the job failed with this error - client process aborted(50).  Can anyone guide me to the solution regarding this problem?  The job ran for 3h 35m 33s.  I'm completely stumped.  I have included an overview of my NetBackup environment below.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance!!

Master Server --- W2k3 Std Edition / SVCPK 1
NB Version --- 6.5.4

Media Servers ---- 2 (Solaris / W2K3 Std Edition / SVCPK1) running NB 6.5.4

blooney

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Will_Restore
Level 6
Did you log out at the end of the day or system automatically disconnects you after certain time period? 

I recall having trouble with import under such circumstance. 
The user must stay logged in until the import completes.
   Locking the computer (Ctrl-Alt-Delete and Lock Computer) will not generate the error.
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/263072.htm

Your duplication may have completed successfully, it just couldn't write to the log file.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

louissou
Not applicable

Hi,

We've just start to implement EV 8.0 SP3 to archive our company's emails/PST files and files in file shares ( The file shares are stored in EMC Symmetrix DMX3 accessible via EMC Celerra NAS NS40 gateway ). The vault stores are resided on the EMC Clariion CX3-10 SATAII disks. However, we found that after archiving, the total archived files size is larger than the original files size . I wondered how EV works for compression and de-duplication ? Is there any special configuration to be done on EV or in EMC Celerra or EMC Clariion storage to achieve the desired compression/duplication ratio ?

Tks

Louis 

Will_Restore
Level 6
Louis,

Sorry, I don't know the answer to that.  You should open a new thread on EV forum. 

Will_Restore
Level 6
blooney,

check this technote:
BUG REPORT: Duplication jobs fail with status code 50 (Client process aborted) reported
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/295721.htm

blooney
Level 3
wrobbins,

Thanks for the response, however this BUG REPORT does not apply to my situation (I actually looked at this before posting to this forum).  I manually ran this dupliction job, it was not initiated by vault and it is not part of a disk staging process.  Might you have any other ideas?  Thanks wrobbins!!

blooney

Will_Restore
Level 6
Did you log out at the end of the day or system automatically disconnects you after certain time period? 

I recall having trouble with import under such circumstance. 
The user must stay logged in until the import completes.
   Locking the computer (Ctrl-Alt-Delete and Lock Computer) will not generate the error.
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/263072.htm

Your duplication may have completed successfully, it just couldn't write to the log file.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
but in the meantime as a workaround:

I presume your different schedules have different retention periods? I also presume that you have the default setting to not mix retention periods on media? If yes to both the above, then can you not just isolate those on-site daily tapes that have your monthly images on them & treat them as if they were your monthly tapes? i.e. take them off-site as you would any other monthly tapes & return them when they've expired?

I know it's not very 'tidy', but it will save you the extra workload of duplicating them all. Had to do it ourselves once or twice & it can be 'annoying' to see an offsite weekend tape or some such that's not going to expire for 12 months! At the end of the day, you've got the images you need, they're not going to expire for a year (or whatever), they're just on the 'wrong' tapes.

***EDIT***
Not much out there for EC50's. I'm inclined to agree with Bill w.r.t. logging out. I would imagine that duplication & import processes are very much akin (they are both kicked off via 'catalog' in the Admin Console also) - & if I remember correctly both write to logs on the 'client' that started them so....

Only other things I've found so far (& they don't help much!):
BUG REPORT: NetBackup Storage Lifecycle Policy (SLP) duplications may fail with Status Code 50. ...
In-depth Troubleshooting Guide for Exit Status Code 50 in NetBackup Server (tm) / NetBackup Enterpri...

blooney
Level 3
Andy and Bill,

Thank you both for your input regarding this, I appreciate it! 

Bill, with regards to logging off / locking the workstation.  I did log off the server before I left for the evening, this might have led to the EC50 that I received.  I will definitely continue to research this.

Andy, with regards to your assumption, you were 100% correct!  The retentions for all schedules are set according to the schedule itself (i.e. monthly = 1-year / weekly = 3-months / etc...).  My initial thought was to do exactly as you indicated, mix-and-match the tapes to save time.  Then my "tidiness" kicked in and got the best of me!  :o)  I believe the best thing for me to do is to isolate the "daily_onsite" volumes and to send them off-site with the other monthly tapes, just as you suggested.  This will be so much easier!

Thanks again to you both!  If I find something else through my research of the EC50, I will be sure to let you both know!  Have a wonderful evening!

blooney (Brian)