cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

./cp_to_client: not found

nbustarter380
Level 6

Hi I am trying to install the 7.1 Solaris Netbackup client and I am getting the following message

/var/tmp/strg/NetBackup_7.1_CLIENTS/NBClients/catalog/anb/client.inst: ./cp_to_c

lient: not found

A failure was detected running /var/tmp/strg/NetBackup_7.1_CLIENTS/NBClients/anb

/Clients/usr/openv/netbackup/client/Solaris/Solaris10/cp_to_client nbucore1.oit.

sun client os information

SunOS Norpointvntl 5.10 Generic_144488-17 sun4v sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-T200

fyi - I am not using the cd to install we are connecting to  our clients remotely ssh

Thanks for any help in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Did you obtain the client package via a download?

If so take a look at this tech note as there are issues with it:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH154080

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Did you obtain the client package via a download?

If so take a look at this tech note as there are issues with it:

nbustarter380
Level 6

Hi thanks for the Information,

I believe the client package was obtained via download (another admin did this) so I can't be 100% positive.

Is there a link to the clients (all platforms) download page? I did find a page for downloads but it asked for a "special account number" or something I forget the exact message but it wouldn't let me just download the client. I am not sure that was the correct page or not.

fyi - I am new to netbackup

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Mark is correct - all sorts of 'weird' errors if you use 'normal' tar instead of gtar to extract.

Please give more details about this statement?

"Fyi - I am not using the cd to install we are connecting to  our clients remotely ssh"

Please tell us more? do you copy software to each client and then ssh to it to install?

What OS is your master? If it is Unix/Linux, you can push-install from the master.

Marianne
Level 6

FileConnect needs you to enter your product serial number.

This can be found on your License Key certificate.

The problem is hardly ever with the download, but with the way the files are extracted after joining them.

The download list on FileConnect also contains a little README called NetBackup_7.1-Split_1ofN.txt  that explains the need for gnu tar.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

You can get it either via file connect or via the Symantec licensing portal

Do read the tech note that i listed above for instructions on untaring the package once you have joined it

Ivan_Tee
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Please verify do you have cp_to_client file under /var/tmp/strg/NetBackup_7.1_CLIENTS/NBClients/catalog/anb/Clients/usr/openv/netbackup/client/Solaris/Solaris10?

nbustarter380
Level 6

Hi Marianne...Thanks

Please give more details about this statement?

"Fyi - I am not using the cd to install we are connecting to  our clients remotely ssh"

This is what our procedure is ...The clients were put on our master server NBU servers

For example say our master NBU  server is named (nbutower1) the clients are on there. We sftp to that master server from the Client server that needs the client installed on it  (unix, linux, solaris etc)  then from the directory the clients are in we use the  command >>> "get NBU71_AIX or get NetBackup_7.1_CLIENTS.tar.gz  (the solaris is in that package)  to push (I think that's the correct term) it to the client. Once its on the client we do the install. 

Also,I have to find out how to exact just the solaris client from that package so I can just use that. 

Our master server(s) info is below

Linux nbutower1 2.6.18-274.3.1.el5 #1 SMP Fri Aug 26 18:49:02 EDT 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

FileConnect needs you to enter your product serial number.

Yes correct... thanks!  That's what I needed the product serial number I have to get that number from someone in my group so i can download the clients. 

Thanks for the download information also.   

I hope that covers everything if you need any other information let me know.

I appreciate your help!

nbustarter380
Level 6

Mark thanks!

Do you happen to have the Link for that Symantec licensing portal? If not I will look further I assume a product serial number is required for that also.

Also yes, I was getting those messages displayed in the tech note above.

tar: ././@LongLink: typeflag 'L' not recognized, converting to regular file

x ././@LongLink, 104 bytes, 1 tape blocks

x NetBackup_7.1_CLIENTS/NBClients/anb/Clients/usr/openv/netbackup/client/Solaris

/Solaris10/NB-Java.tar, 125304285 bytes, 244735 tape blocks

x ././@LongLink, 104 bytes, 1 tape blocks

xtar: ././@LongLink: typeflag 'L' not recognized, converting to regular file

x ././@LongLink, 108 bytes, 1 tape blocks

x NetBackup_7.1_CLIENTS/NBClients/anb/Clients/usr/openv/netbackup/client/Solaris

/Solaris_x86_10_64/JRE, 44583226 bytes, 87077 tape blocks

x ././@LongLink, 108 bytes, 1 tape blocks

x NetBackup_7.1_CLIENTS/NBClients/anb/Clients/usr/openv

Marianne
Level 6

You already have the sofware. As I've said in my previous post, the problem is hardly ever with the download, but with the way that the contents is extracted.  Just double-check the size and checksum. As per the little text file downloaded with the software:

md5sum  NetBackup_7.1_CLIENTS.tar.gz = cec4972f97b70b336073034c6e7cd546  
The "Size" value is: 3.08 GB (3,312,989,265 bytes)

Please follow the steps in the TN that Mark posted to first check the gtar version on the Solaris client, then unzip and extract files. You can do it in 'one go':

gzcat NetBackup_7.1_CLIENTS.tar.gz | /usr/sfw/bin/gtar xvf -

Now you are ready to install.

ANOTHER way to install client software: Extract client software on master and install the client software on the master. You can then 'push-install' software to the clients.

Please see NBU Installation Guide for UNIX and Linux  http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC3647 for details on how to do this.

See this section starting on p.53 of the Install Guide: About pushing client software from a master server to clients. Follow instructions to install client software on master.

Then jump to p. 119 : About remote installation methods for UNIX clients. You will probably choose the ssh method.

nbustarter380
Level 6

Marianne..Thank you very much for your help!

I will try the install again using your suggestions  and read the manual.

pikachu
Level 6
Employee Certified

Extraction or installation errors from downloaded NetBackup 7.1 software extracted using Solaris, Linux, HP-UX and AIX servers.

Marianne
Level 6

Referred to many times in this thread! See https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/cptoclient-not-found#comment-6234531

Ivan_Tee
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Please use /usr/sfw/bin/gtar -xvf <NBU.TAR> to extract the tar file...

Marianne
Level 6

Did you manage to install client software successfully?