Did you mean: 

grub command line interface showed during BMR restore

Lacey_Chu
Level 4

Hi Experts,

NBU master: 7.6.1.2  RHEL65

NBU client: 7.6.1.2    RHEL66

SRT iso  RHEL66

I am restoring my RHEL server using media boot.

The server is in grub command line mode now. The possible commands are listed after I entered 'tab'.

Does anyone know what should I do? Thanks!

Capture.GIF

Regards,

Lacey

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Jaime_Vazquez
Level 6
Employee

I have just posted an extremely detailed entry in the forum "some files not restored after BMR restore".

The root cause in this is identical to the other failure.  You post and asked to look at the restore debug log file. I must ask, did you even give the log file a view yourself?  Even a cursory look of the log file by a neophyte user would show the raft of errors in the file.  The most obvious entry is this:

Bare Metal Restore has failed.
Now, you will be dropped to a shell prompt.
You may reboot the system when you have completed diagnosis.

'

The GRUB error condition you are obviously encountering when trying to reboot this incompletely recovered server is due to this:

+ cp /tmp/mnt/boot/grub/grub.conf /tmp/mnt/boot/grub/grub.conf.temp
/tmp/87FC8A96.restore: line 2139: /bin/cp: No such file or directory
+ cp /tmp/mnt/boot/grub/grub.conf /tmp/mnt/boot/grub/grub.conf.beforeBMR
/tmp/87FC8A96.restore: line 2140: /bin/cp: No such file or directory
+ [[ 127 -eq 0 ]]
+ Bail 'ERROR: Copy of boot config file.'
+ test -n ''
+ EchoToConsole 'ERROR: Copy of boot config file.'

As noted by Marianne and sdo, I have more than once pointed you to the documentation that specifically states that all of this is not supported. Why do you continue to perform this anyway?

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Is the 'server instance' being recovered a virtual machine inside an RHEL hypervisor host?

Lacey_Chu
Level 4

yes, there are virtual machines.

sdo

Wasn't Jamie's previous post relevant, i.e. his post on your other thread, here:

some files are not restored after BMR restore - Comment:17 hours 44 min ago : Link

Lacey_Chu
Level 4

Hi sdo,

Could you please help me have a look at the log file?

Thanks,

Lacey

sdo

In Jamie's post, he said:

"At this time BMR does not support guest OS instances on a KVM virtual server.  It supports guest OS instances on VMWare, Windows Hyper-V and Xen virtual servers as well as Solaris LDOM and AIX LPAR instances."

Does this not mean that your attempt to BMR recover a RHEL guest VM in RHEL KVM is not supported?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

There have  been so may posts in recent weeks regarding BMR support in this environment: 

Error while creating SRT on Red hat linux 6.5b server 

Can NetBackup master client server using different OS 

BMR full backup partially successful. 

Can NetBackup support BMR full backup/restore the total VMs created on top of Redhatlinux host? 

some files are not restored after BMR restore

In most of these discussions, Symantec Backline BMR expert keeps on referring you back to the Compatibility doc: 

Statement of Support for NetBackup 7.x in a Virtual Environment (Virtualization Technologies)   
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH127089 

Note that there are different levels of support for virtual instances. That is to say, it may be supported as a NBU client but not supported as a BMR client.  The BMR client support has a heavy interaction at the OS and hardware level which an NBU client does not.

Not sure why you keep on trying without confirming compatibility?

Jaime_Vazquez
Level 6
Employee

I have just posted an extremely detailed entry in the forum "some files not restored after BMR restore".

The root cause in this is identical to the other failure.  You post and asked to look at the restore debug log file. I must ask, did you even give the log file a view yourself?  Even a cursory look of the log file by a neophyte user would show the raft of errors in the file.  The most obvious entry is this:

Bare Metal Restore has failed.
Now, you will be dropped to a shell prompt.
You may reboot the system when you have completed diagnosis.

'

The GRUB error condition you are obviously encountering when trying to reboot this incompletely recovered server is due to this:

+ cp /tmp/mnt/boot/grub/grub.conf /tmp/mnt/boot/grub/grub.conf.temp
/tmp/87FC8A96.restore: line 2139: /bin/cp: No such file or directory
+ cp /tmp/mnt/boot/grub/grub.conf /tmp/mnt/boot/grub/grub.conf.beforeBMR
/tmp/87FC8A96.restore: line 2140: /bin/cp: No such file or directory
+ [[ 127 -eq 0 ]]
+ Bail 'ERROR: Copy of boot config file.'
+ test -n ''
+ EchoToConsole 'ERROR: Copy of boot config file.'

As noted by Marianne and sdo, I have more than once pointed you to the documentation that specifically states that all of this is not supported. Why do you continue to perform this anyway?

Lacey_Chu
Level 4

My customer wants to use BMR backup & restore our EMS ( Element Management System).

I need to try various kinds of methods to provide a solution.

My RHEL server is named song which was full installed with RHEL66.

There are four kernal based VMs on top of song, song1-oam-1, song1-db-1, song1-cm-1 and pasoncom.

I installed NBU client software on each VM. Only BMR backup of pasoncom was successful, the other three failed.

Symantec gave me the answer that /dev/vd* devices are not supported with BMR. There is no /dev/vd* devices in pasoncom, so its backup was success?

I installed NBU client software on host server, BMR backup succeeded.

But BMR restore failed to restore the host server not to say the VMs.

sdo

Is your customer actually okay with you trying to implement a configuration which is currently unsupported by the vendor?

Does the customer know that their data is actually being put at risk by you attempting to carry on persuing this?

Is the customer willing to loose the data in this system ?

Lacey_Chu
Level 4

For our earlier release of EMS ( which is directly installed on the host server ), NBU works ok. There is one kernal based VM named pasoncom.

But now our EMS is decompsed which means that EMS is using three VMs on top of host server, I need to test the new release of EMS. There will be four kernal based VMs *-oam-1, *-db-1, *-cm-1 and pasoncom.

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I saw somewhere that Avamar can do this.