cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

health check

samkumar
Level 3

how to health check for master,media and client? is there any commands to health check

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

NetBackup doesn't have a health check tool. If you let us know exactly what you want to check we can help you.

Here is what I would do however

1) Keep copies of the nbsu output so I can refer back to any previous configurations or to see what has changed over time (Master and Media servers)

2) Monitor system performance to see if memory or CPU is increasing over time, that way can plan to upgrade before hitting any bottlenecks (all hosts)

3) Keep a check on disk space - full filsystems cause performance issues with NetBackup (all hosts)

4) Run infrequently bpdbm -consistency to check the consistency of images - this doesn't need to be run often at all (master server)

5) Keep check on my networks to ensure they are not degraded (all hosts)

6) Regularly patch to the latest version of NetBackup to ensure bugs are plugged (all hostS)

7) Run nbdna to check hostname lookup issues and any port connection issues (master and media servers)

8) Keep OS and patches upto-date and hardware firmware (all hosts)

9) Review company backup and retention requirements yearly to ensure you are not keeping backups longer than required or running more backups than you need.- saves disk / tape space

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
Best is to work your way through the commands ref guide looking for different query type commands which touch n different areas of NetBackup - and script the commands and carefully check the return status after each command. Windows or Unix master?

sdo
Or, if you have OpsCenter configure up as many (why not all?) of the Alert Policies that you can.

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

NetBackup doesn't have a health check tool. If you let us know exactly what you want to check we can help you.

Here is what I would do however

1) Keep copies of the nbsu output so I can refer back to any previous configurations or to see what has changed over time (Master and Media servers)

2) Monitor system performance to see if memory or CPU is increasing over time, that way can plan to upgrade before hitting any bottlenecks (all hosts)

3) Keep a check on disk space - full filsystems cause performance issues with NetBackup (all hosts)

4) Run infrequently bpdbm -consistency to check the consistency of images - this doesn't need to be run often at all (master server)

5) Keep check on my networks to ensure they are not degraded (all hosts)

6) Regularly patch to the latest version of NetBackup to ensure bugs are plugged (all hostS)

7) Run nbdna to check hostname lookup issues and any port connection issues (master and media servers)

8) Keep OS and patches upto-date and hardware firmware (all hosts)

9) Review company backup and retention requirements yearly to ensure you are not keeping backups longer than required or running more backups than you need.- saves disk / tape space

sdo

I guess there are at least three initial trains of thought for this topic...     1) perhaps a scripted quick status check, i.e. is everything responding as it should do      or     2) specific monitoring, and alerting (perhaps via OpsCenter)      or      3) a proper health screening/check as listed by Mr revaroo.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

You can run a SORT risk assessment using the SORT data collector for Netbackup master and media servers. The tool is available for both UNIX/Linux and Windows.

Data Collector can be downloaded from:

https://sort.veritas.com/data_collectors

The tool will tell you if the technical requirement are meet .e.g memory, kernel settings, patch level etc etc.

Sample report can be found here;

https://sort.veritas.com/sample/install_and_upgrade_nbu