cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

master/media server across the world

manatee
Level 6

NBU 7.6.0.3

my master/media server is currently installed in linux on a blade server together with Oracle VM manager. i found this combination too limiting as i cannot do maintenance on one without affecting the other. so i thought why not split them as configure another VM to hold the NBU master/media server installations.

the filesystem where the servers dump their data before being dedup would remain in the blade server for performance reason.

now this VM where the master/media server will reside, i can install them on any laptop/PC running Hyper-V or VMware and manage everything from any part of the world. having the NBU master/media server anywhere means i can keep multiple copies and do maintenance anytime without having to worry about affecting another server or losing the configurations.

what do you think?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

NetBackup should not be installed on a pc or a laptop. 

It is a Server application that needs to be always online with sufficient CPU and RAM.

You can always use your laptop to Remote Desktop to the master from anywhere in the world.
Or install Windows Remote Admin Console or Windows Java Console on your laptop.

You can use this TN to migrate the NBU master to new hardware. Bear in mind that the hostname must migrate to new server along with NBU.

Using catalog backup and recovery to transfer NetBackup catalogs between Windows master servers as part of a hardware refresh
http://www.veritas.com/docs/000041076

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

NetBackup should not be installed on a pc or a laptop. 

It is a Server application that needs to be always online with sufficient CPU and RAM.

You can always use your laptop to Remote Desktop to the master from anywhere in the world.
Or install Windows Remote Admin Console or Windows Java Console on your laptop.

You can use this TN to migrate the NBU master to new hardware. Bear in mind that the hostname must migrate to new server along with NBU.

Using catalog backup and recovery to transfer NetBackup catalogs between Windows master servers as part of a hardware refresh
http://www.veritas.com/docs/000041076

manatee
Level 6

i see your point why it must be always online. forgot that the scheduler runs on NBU master.

thanks for the link.