installing/replacing current master server

dnation
Level 2

Current environment:

1 – Master (win2000SP4) NBU6.0 MP4

71 clients

1 – Media (win2003)      NBU6.0 MP4

3 clients

I’m going to replace my master server with a 64-bit Win2003 server.   I’m searching for any recommendation on the best way that I should implement this.   The new server has a new name and is already on the network.   I just need to load the netbackup software 6.5.1.   Is there any limitation with licenses keys or can I use the same key on new server?     I have VTL’s, so storage is not an issue.   I thought the best way to migrate over would be to slowly move clients over to new platform each day.   I would have all 71 clients moved over within a week.    I could configure the media server (which has only 3 clients) to the new 64-bit server at any time.    Once everything was running over on the new 6.5.1.    I would leave the old server still running incase of any restores and prevent me from having to convert the database to new server.   After 4 weeks, the majority of the data will have expired.    But for those images that are kept for every, what command do I use to move those images over the new backup server?   I feel like there is a lot more to this migration than what I have listed, so please feel free to advise me of any step that I may have omitted.  

Regards,

3 REPLIES 3

dnation
Level 2
I also wanted to mentioned that the server name for the new server was not the same as the current master server.   The powers to be want to adopt a new naming convention for new servers. 

Stafford
Level 4
Make sure all of the clients have the new master/media server name in their server list.  Are you moving this to a new tape library or are you partitioning the existing?

corona
Level 3
Hi,

since you need to set the new master server OS to Win2K3 64 bit edititon it also means that the netbackup master server is using the 64bit edition too. Note that 64bit master server does not support BMR for all media servers and clients. There is no option to install boot server as only 32bit does.

Hope this helps.

Best rgds.