cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lan switch and san switch

manishnbu
Level 3

HI all,

I am bew to this tool.I am reading the NBU manuals right now.I just wanna know how my media servers ,master and client and library are connected?

My data travels through the LAN cables? or through FC Cables?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

As mentioned above, SAN media sever is limited edition of media server, and this can its own data to destination storage. Client host and media server host is same in this case, so data does not travel through LAN when backup data goes from client to media server.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

RLeon
   VIP   

*** readies pitchfork and lantern ***

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited
I think the "I just wanna know" gives it away.

manishnbu
Level 3

No.I have posted first time on this.

Can anybody please provide me some basic info

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

Are you a backup admin? Do you have any server eperience? Do you know what these components are?

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

In general, backup data travels via LAN from clients to media servers, and media servers store recieved data to destination storage like tapes, disks, or OpenStorage.

Tape libraries or VTLs are usually connected through SAN or directly attached through FC, SAS, Parallel SCSI or so. So, yes, in general, backup data does not travel through LAN when it goes from media servers to destination storages. If using OpenStorage or NAS disks, backup data travels through LAN.

When you configured FT(Fibre Transport), backup data travels SAN when it goes from clients(SAN clients) to media servers(FT media servers).

manishnbu
Level 3

OK Thanks yasuhisa.

.So in case of SAN client and SAN media servers,Only Data travels from SAN only ?

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

manishnbu,

SAN media server is limited version of media server that can store its own data only, and is not same with FT media server.

Do you mean "SAN client and FT media server"? If so, yes.

###

Ooops, someone vote down my previous post!!

manishnbu
Level 3

Ok.

So in case of SAN media server?

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

As mentioned above, SAN media sever is limited edition of media server, and this can its own data to destination storage. Client host and media server host is same in this case, so data does not travel through LAN when backup data goes from client to media server.