cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

logs housekeeping

manatee
Level 6

in my master/media server, i found that /usr/openv/logs/nbemm is occupying 20GB of space. is it safe to delete the logs there except the most current month entries?

the same question with the other directories in /usr/openv/logs/ and /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/ can i delete entries older than a month?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You may want to see if logging levels have been increased (i.e. for Support case):

vxlogcfg -p 51216 -o Default -l 
or for EMM :
vxlogcfg -p 51216 -o 111 -l

The default Debug level is 1 and Diagnostic is 6.

You can then use vxlogcfg to change the levels for ALL processes:

vxlogcfg -a -p 51216 -o Default -s DebugLevel=1 -s DiagnosticLevel=6
or for EMM:
vxlogcfg -a -p 51216 -o 111 -s DebugLevel=1 -s DiagnosticLevel=6

You can also drop down DiagnosticLevel to 1.

If you should experience issues in future that needs higher logging levels, you can increase them again without needing to restart NBU.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Spartacus81
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Its safe to delete these logs if you dont need them for any troubleshooting reasons.  I would first check what is the global logging level set on master if it set to 5 and i will change it 0 and restart the services on the master when no backups are running. make sure to revert the loggings back to 0 when you change them. 

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

In both cases the answer i yes. You can with the unified logs use the vxlogdel command to delete logs:

vxlogmgr --del -p 51216 -e '06/12/2010 12:00:00 PM'

This command will delete all unified loge before 06/12/2010 (d/m/y).

For classic logs, see the option called robust logging to prevent full disk conditions. 

see a description at : http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH125990 (you did not specify a NBU version so check the manual for how to set, it was a touch file, later a option in master server attributes).

Also : http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO34332

Marianne
Level 6

You may want to see if logging levels have been increased (i.e. for Support case):

vxlogcfg -p 51216 -o Default -l 
or for EMM :
vxlogcfg -p 51216 -o 111 -l

The default Debug level is 1 and Diagnostic is 6.

You can then use vxlogcfg to change the levels for ALL processes:

vxlogcfg -a -p 51216 -o Default -s DebugLevel=1 -s DiagnosticLevel=6
or for EMM:
vxlogcfg -a -p 51216 -o 111 -s DebugLevel=1 -s DiagnosticLevel=6

You can also drop down DiagnosticLevel to 1.

If you should experience issues in future that needs higher logging levels, you can increase them again without needing to restart NBU.

manatee
Level 6

what is "EMM"?

my debug level is 6. i'm resetting it to 1.

will do the same for diagnostic.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

EMM = Netbackup Enterprise Media Manager. EMM is a small database using Sybase ASA.

With both debug and diagnostic set to 6 you will have large mount of debug logs generated. Reset to 0 or one.

manatee
Level 6

i gave the command to delete everything before Dec 1, 2013 and it didn't return anything.

so i guess my log files are not that old.

Marianne
Level 6

what is "EMM"?

This is the name of the relational database in all NBU versions since 6.0. The process managing it is called nbemm.

It contains all device and media databases and as from 7.5, the Image headers as well.

For the best possible explanation, please read through these chapters in NBU Admin Guide I:

Chapter 17 - Protecting the NetBackup catalog
See Parts of the NetBackup catalog 
and About the Enterprise Media Manager (EMM) database

Chapter 18 - About the NetBackup relational database

manatee
Level 6

reset to 1.

thanks!