cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

media ID not unique in database (34)

Nithin_T_N
Not applicable

Processing new media added to the robotic library by logically
adding media with new media IDs as follows...
 Media ID Slot
 ======== ====

Update failed: could not add new media ID 'V410L3' into slot 2
Insert media failed:
media ID not unique in database (34)

I am running Veritas Netbackup 5 on a Sun Solaris 8 machine. When I am trying to add new media, its says media ID not unique in database.

I saw so many post regarding this but none of them worked for me, can someone help to understand the issue.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

First off the Media ID says V410L3 which i would expect to be wrong

On that version of NetBackup the Media ID Generation rules are unique to each admin console (and possibly to each user)

I would expect it to be, say ABV410

It suggests it has seen this tape before and knows its bar code is ABV410L3

So, go to Inventory the library - tick the advanced button and go to the Media ID Generation tab.

For the robot number involved add a new rule which says the library has a length of 8 and a rule of 1:2:3:4:5:6

OK back to the inventory screen and try again

If it still doesnt work then search your media for something with the same bar code and see what the Media ID is of that one and get back to us

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

First off the Media ID says V410L3 which i would expect to be wrong

On that version of NetBackup the Media ID Generation rules are unique to each admin console (and possibly to each user)

I would expect it to be, say ABV410

It suggests it has seen this tape before and knows its bar code is ABV410L3

So, go to Inventory the library - tick the advanced button and go to the Media ID Generation tab.

For the robot number involved add a new rule which says the library has a length of 8 and a rule of 1:2:3:4:5:6

OK back to the inventory screen and try again

If it still doesnt work then search your media for something with the same bar code and see what the Media ID is of that one and get back to us

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

First of all, check current status:

/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmquery -m V410L3

Please post output.

Mark is right - NBU stores the last 6 characters of the label. If you have been using AAV410L3 and now trying to add ABV410L3 (for example) the last 6 characters are both V410L3, causing the 'not unique' error.

It will be a problem to try and change now, since all your tapes have been written using last 6 instead of 1st 6.

Based on output above and inspection of new label, we can hopefully figure something out...

Luv_Rai
Level 3
Certified

Barcode seems to be duplicate in Library, So best practice is check the Media ID. If you found same media ID is existing into database. Delete it from record and run Robot inventory.

Regards

L Rai