cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

media server drives failing on boot - reinstall questions

lovethatcheese
Level 5

Hello. Have a media server on Windows 2008 server r2 enterprise with attached tape drive / equali logic san..this media server is giving me errors on boot, and new drives have been ordered. Still looking into why my RAID mirroring failed, but that's another story.

My question- all backups are either on tape or the attached (external) SAN. If I need to reinstall the OS on this, am I going to be able to:

(as an aside - my catalog backup file is going to a different media server)

a) quickly reimport my existing images?

b) is this going to be an easy fix (i.e. as simple as reinstalling Windows server)?

c) having backups going over wan is not an option, so I will be without backups until we get new drives in. Not the end of the world. Just wanted to avoid having to re-import these existing images manually.

My master is on the same OS.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Scott

21 REPLIES 21

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I'm completely stumped.

So am I!

You have marked this discussion as Solved?

lovethatcheese
Level 5

It's a mix of a a few things I believe. Your original suggestion of license keys was a great find - The GUI showed active license keys, but the command line did not - it showed nothing was installed. Reinstalling everything from scratch fixed the issue with Volume Manager, and I can technically get to the media server now, so I'm only having issues with the MSDP pool now..

The reason this thread was created has been solved. I created a new one with my new problem, and would greatly appreciate your assistance there! --- even the Symantec rep I spoke with today had nothing but great things to say about "Marianne from the forums" :)