cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

media type and volume group mismatch

dz3000
Level 4

We replaced our DLT tape library with a LTO 3 tape library. When we do a vault eject the tapes are supposed to be put into the volume group: "my_offsite_volumes" but "my_offsite_volumes" has the DLT tapes. Can i create a new volume group for the LTO tapes?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If I understand correctly, your issue is that the vaulted LTO tapes are in "my_offsite_volumes" group - same the previously used DLT tapes, right?

You can change the Off-site Volume Group to anything you like or something that will reflect actual location, e.g. "Offsite-LTO".

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

I guess you have a query about NBU.

Post your NBU queries here, https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/backup-and-archiving/forums/netbackup

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

If you have replaced your library then you will probably find that you need to recreate you vault robot

It all depends on how your replacement took place

For example, if your Vault Robot was TLD(0) but your new ones shows up as TLD(1) then you need to start again

In view of the changes it is probably best to recreate your robot, vault and profile

Tape of different types can be put into the same volume groups but you may need to recreate your vault or at least select the correct "robotic volume group" in your vault

If I have got the wrong end of your question please come back and clarify you issue - with screen shots where possible as well as NBU versions etc.

Hope this helps

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

If you recrate the vault profile, will this not cause an issue with tapes already vaulted ???

If the robot has changed, eg tld(1) as opposed to (0) it would probably be better to delete the robot and recreate as tld (0).

Martin

dz3000
Level 4

We have NetBackup 7.1.01.  The new tape library kept the same number TLD(1). The vault eject works but the tapes do not show up in a volume group. The vault eject attributes are:

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If I understand correctly, your issue is that the vaulted LTO tapes are in "my_offsite_volumes" group - same the previously used DLT tapes, right?

You can change the Off-site Volume Group to anything you like or something that will reflect actual location, e.g. "Offsite-LTO".

dz3000
Level 4

how to create the new volume group. Vaulted LTO tapes were not going automatically into the "my_offsite_volumes" group. The "all problems" log showed an error because the "my_offsite_volumes" group was already holding DLT media. I fixed it by typing a new volume group name in the Vault Profile.

Stanleyj
Level 6

Tapes of different densities cannot be assigined to the same volume group?

My issues is very similar that i have an LTO3 Library and an LTO4 library.  We just added the LTO4 about a month ago and i am noticing that my tapes are not going in the proper groups after being vaulted. 

The original LTO3 tapes are going into "my_offsite_volume" but my LTO4 (who have a different vault job but with the same volume group name) are staying in default group for the library.

I guess the solution is like dx3000 said and that is I need to create a different volume group name for each library.