Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

migrated Media Server

m3lyan
Level 3
Partner

HI ALl
i have aix media server connected to tape library , i wana remove aix media server and add window media server
reconfigure storage unit
inventory robot
what the impact of that change
what the right step for such a procedure

note:
the aix media server is connected by acsls  , which will be removed
while the new media server window should be TLD
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Here are some tech notes regarding the issue:

DOCUMENTATION: What is the process for decommissioning a NetBackup 6.5 media server? 

NetBackup Media Server Decommissioning Tool now for 6.53 6.54 and 6.5.5

Changing from ACSLS to TLD should not cause any issues unless you are using ACSLS access control or volume control.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Here are some tech notes regarding the issue:

DOCUMENTATION: What is the process for decommissioning a NetBackup 6.5 media server? 

Changing from ACSLS to TLD should not cause any issues unless you are using ACSLS access control or volume control.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Reconfiguring the devices is not the major concern here - it's taking care of media and images owned by the decommisioned media server.
On the main page of this forum, you will find this link under 'Featured discussions' :

As far as conguration is concerned, you need to delete Storage Unit and all devices belonging to the old media server, use the wizard to scan & config devices and Storage Unit on new media server and update Storage Unit selection in policies.

m3lyan
Level 3
Partner
thx mari and nicolai
what if i keep same hostname do i need to use decommissioning tool

another question
what about replacing hba , what steps and what risk should i take on consideration

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

I would go for adding the new Windows media sever and then re-assigning the media information to the new media server. This approach let you the new media server gracefully take over new load. And you have a fall back option if you experiences issues.

Replacing HBA: Do you have a fibre channel HBA in mind ?

Fibre channel network can be zoned by switch port or by World Wide Name (WWN). If the  zoning in your'e fabric is done by WWN you need to re-configure that zone. If zoning is done by switch port, no re-configuration should be necessary.

m3lyan
Level 3
Partner
thx nicolai
i will do the re-zoning
but changing HBA card , will it change hardware path for tape devices
so do i need to reconfigure STU
what ive ACSLS host

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If you keep the same hostname, you won't need the decommissioning tool. Delete all devices for the AIX media server before switching it off, and rescan for devices after installing NBU on same hostname Windows media server. You will have to delete the STU and re-add with new robot details. If the STU name is different, remember to update policies. Be sure to test restores after the move, as I'm not 100% convinced that a Windows server will read AIX tapes without any problems.

As Nicolai said - a phased migration might be better. Add the Windows media server with a new hostname. Move tapes and media ownership (using bpmedia) gradually, testing restores after each move.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

The OS will likely create new devices for the tape drives, but Netbackup 6.x should overcome this as re-mapping of device drivers are carried out by tape drive serial number (this is why you need run the "tpautoconf -replace_drive drive_name -path drive_path" after drive replacement).

ACSLS host can be found by doing a tpconfig -d from the media server:

# tpconfig -d
Id  DriveName           Type   Residence
      Drive Path                                                       Status
1   0218-2F              hcart3 ACS(0)  ACS=0, LSM=2, PANEL=1, DRIVE=8
      /dev/nst3                                                        UP
2   0010-2F              hcart3 ACS(0)  ACS=0, LSM=0, PANEL=1, DRIVE=0
      /dev/nst6                                                        UP

Currently defined robotics are:
  ACS(0)     ACSLS server = moldau

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Marianne raises a very important issue. If you have tuned SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS (everybody REALLY should) to a value larger than 65536 you absolute need to make sure the Windows miniport driver support SCSI block sizes larger thank 65K.

Tech note:

Where are the values for SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS, NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS and NET_BUFFER_SZ located on Windows...