Did you mean: 

netb 6.5.5 ; unable to restore image with large number of files

Frederic_GERARD
Level 3

Hi,

Here's the context :

- netbackup master and media server on AIX6.1

- a windows 2008 client

We try to restore a whole partition of the windows client from a full backup. Job arrives in queue, "job details" tab read "begin restore". Two hours later, it still reads "begin restore".

If we select only a small part (few directories) to restore, it works. The more we select entries, the longer it takes to pass from "begin restore" to "media required" etc.

I think the problem is related to the large number of files int the image. A cat_convert -dump of the backup image lasts 7 minutes and produces 4 400 000 lines.

Since i haven't find any fix or workaround regarding this problem, i try this forum.

If anyone can help :)

Fred GERARD

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Frederic_GERARD
Level 3

OK, so the best way to restore a whole partition is to restore in raw mode.

An helpfull technote  : TECH166218

Before launching of the restore, check nobody currently access the taget partition, otherwise Netbackup will not succeed in locking it.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Sounds like it just takes a long time!:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH28521

Hope this helps

Frederic_GERARD
Level 3

Hi,

Tanks for the technote, although it seams to confirm that it's a "normal" behaviour.

I'll work from this note and will post information if i find a way to improve performance :)

Frederic_GERARD
Level 3

OK, so the best way to restore a whole partition is to restore in raw mode.

An helpfull technote  : TECH166218

Before launching of the restore, check nobody currently access the taget partition, otherwise Netbackup will not succeed in locking it.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

That is generally the fastest way to back it up as well as restore it - flashbackup also give the ability to restore single files from the block level backup.

Of course if it were virtualised a vSphere backup may be even faster - restore the vmdk

Hope this works out for you