cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

netbackup 6.5.5 Hot catalog backup status code 1

demo4119
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Currently im trying to perform a hot catalog backup to disk storage unit and perform a same hostname netbackup master restoration on the new hardware server.

But when i do a catalog recovery wizard the catalog recovery will hanged after sometime and recovery didnt completing or failing .

Strange it that when i cancel the catalog recovery and try to do a import phase 1 and 2 on the hot catalog backup on the disk storage unit .

I'm able to complete the phase 1 import but unable to find any catalog images when query for phase 2 import.

Questions:-

1) Can catalog backup do phase 1 and phase 2 importing on another netbackup master ?

2) Can hot catalog backup perform a file level restoration on the netbackup\db , netbackup\var and volmgr?

Please advise.

9 REPLIES 9

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

At what point in the Catalog recovery is the job hanging ?

I presume here the catalog restore is runing to a system with the same name, same os type (linux is equal to unix) and the same version as netbackup as the 'old' system.

1) Can catalog backup do phase 1 and phase 2 importing on another netbackup master ?

You can import a catalog backup tape, but there is no need, unless you want to run a file level recovery (in backup type select nbu_catalog)

2) Can hot catalog backup perform a file level restoration on the netbackup\db , netbackup\var and volmgr?

No, not via the wizard.

As 1) If you did import the catalog tape, it is possible to browse it like any other backup tape (Select "Policy type for restores" to NBU-Catalog"

Martin

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

In addition to Martins excellent points, it is always useful to open a second NetBackup Admin Console so that you can actually view what jobs are running and their state

This can give you cluses such as media ID being incorrect, resources not found, even that a tape drive needs cleaning, but at least you can see activity and device monitors to see what is going on.

But to do a catalog restore the server the restoration runs on must have the same name as the original, have NBU installed in the same location, be the same version and patch level (and if it is already a live Master Server this will overwrite its own current catalog)

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Please tell us which OS on current and new NBU server?

Also - have you installed and patched up to the same NBU patch level?

How is disk storage presented to new server? Same mount point as old server?

I would like to see output of 'bprecover -wizard' from cmd.

The data you need to restore (netbackup\db , netbackup\var and volmgr?) implies a FULL catatalog restore.

Please see this TN on how to use catalog backup and restore for hardware migration:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH77447

demo4119
Level 6

exisitng nbu OS.

windows 2003 Std Sp 2

New Nbu OS

Windows 2008 R2 Std X64

Netbackup is 6.5.5 and Hostname and installation path both are the same .

Hot catalog is backing to disk storage ( USB disk ) can this be work for catalog recovery ?

Marianne
Level 6

I just had another look at the title of this thread:

Are you saying that the catalog backup of the source master server was not successful - status 1?

We first of all need assurance that the backup was successful and that you have a DR file that can be copied to new master.

Disk backup is 100% fine - as long as bprecover can find the backed up data based on information in DR-file.
Please post your DR file as attachment.

One more thing - W2008 R2 is supported as NBU Client as from 6.5.5, but as Master as from 7.0.

You will have to upgrade your W2003 first, then migrate to W2008 R2.

NetBackup 6.x Operating System (CL):   http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH70729

NetBackup 7 Operating System (CL):    http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH76648

demo4119
Level 6

Thanks,

Marianne
Level 6

Please tell us more about the title of this thread:

Are the catalog backups failing with status 1?

demo4119
Level 6

the backup for the hot catalog on the NBU 6.5.5 is failing with a status code 1 . And DR file wasnt create on the Dr location .

So i have managed to recover the images header from the netbackup\db\images\master.

But strange is that when i run the catalog recovery wizard , it hanged on the first screen " searching for the images".

Should i open another thread for this , really that this thread ?

Marianne
Level 6

You need to address status 1 for catalog before trying to restore/recover.

Please post all text in details tab of Activity Monitor for status 1 backup job.

Please post details for parent job and each child job - successful and unsuccessful.

Let us troubleshoot that status 1 in this discussion since that is what appears in the title of this thread.