cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"socket read failed" connecting to client through firewall

rbkguy
Level 4

We are have an isse connecting to clients through a firewall getting  "socket read failed" when we are tring to retrieve the properties from the client. I have opened port 13724, 1556 and still same issue. Can anymore give me some advice.

We are using Windows 2003 SP2\R2 and netbackup 6.5.1

Message Edited by rbkguy on 09-11-2008 05:51 AM
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_McCann
Level 3

The only other things that occured to me are Name Resolution and configuration.

I've had problems displaying client properties when the master server was not able to resolve name from IP and IP from name.

Check that you can do forward and reverse lookups of the client on the server and the server on the client.

Check also that the master server is listed in bp.conf or client attributes on the client. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Graham_McCann
Level 3

I thought you needed both bpcd (13782/tcp) & vnetd (13724/tcp) open for clients behind a firewall.

Prior to 6.5 you would also need to set  the "Connect Options" for each client in the master server Properties.

I think in 6.5 they made vnetd the default connect option, but it would be worth checking that someone has not over-ridden this (as above). 

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

I wrote these when we were on 5.1 

1. In the Netbackup Administration Console expand Netbackup Management\Host Properties and select Master Server
  2. In the right hand pane double click the master server name (example kwcbkupd1)
  3. Under Properties select Client Attributes
  4. Under Clients select the add button and add the client name to be backed up
  5. In the BPCD connect-back section select VNETDport.  This will force Netbackup to use a specific port.
  7. Select the tab for Windows Open File Backup
  8. Under Snapshot error control select Disable Snapshot and continue and hit OK
  9. You will get a warning message that the services need to be restarted.  Make sure no jobs are running before you reset the Netbackup Services.
  10. You might need to add to the host file on the client - entries for the master and media servers with short name.  Or get DNS setup so the names expand to both networks.

rbkguy
Level 4
I have 13782 and 13724 open and still have the same error message

rbkguy
Level 4
I was really hoping that I would not have to change any of the client attributes :(

Graham_McCann
Level 3

The only other things that occured to me are Name Resolution and configuration.

I've had problems displaying client properties when the master server was not able to resolve name from IP and IP from name.

Check that you can do forward and reverse lookups of the client on the server and the server on the client.

Check also that the master server is listed in bp.conf or client attributes on the client.