cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"the backup failed to back up the requested files(6)" for Oracle DB

MariusD
Level 6
A automatic full backup for a Oracle DB end with "the backup failed to back up the requested files(6)". When I try a manual backup ....then works.
Does anyone have any idea what is to do?

Regards,
Marius Demeter
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Ask the Oracle DBA to send you the RMAN log. He/she should know where the script and logs/output files are stored.  The failure was on the client - all troubleshooting needs to take place there. Impossible to troubleshoot if you cannot access logs on the client.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Will_Restore
Level 6
Need the output from RMAN to make sense of what's going on.

David_McMullin
Level 6
specifically, please review the log output from the oracle backup job.
NetBackup passes control to RMAN during the backup, all the error 6 means is that RMAN indicated something happened, only the RMAN logs can tell you exactly what occurred.

MariusD
Level 6
How is called RMAN logs? and where are they? (The Oracle DB client is a customer server and I haven't access) 

Thanks.

rjrumfelt
Level 6
the actual script resides, and is usually named <rman_script_name>.out

It is essentially the name of your backup script with a .out extension.

David_McMullin
Level 6
read through your RMAN script - there is a variable or log value - that is your log path.
My DBA create a log directory under the RMAN script one, and put the files in log/policy.date.time

good luck!

You can almost always simply google the RMAN error, I have always been able to find out the root cause on the www

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Ask the Oracle DBA to send you the RMAN log. He/she should know where the script and logs/output files are stored.  The failure was on the client - all troubleshooting needs to take place there. Impossible to troubleshoot if you cannot access logs on the client.