cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

silentadmin.cmd not working

George_Reimer
Level 3

I'm trying to use the silentadmin.cmd script file to install the NetBackup 6.5 Admin Console on my Win XP SP3 workstation. After setting the cosole, master, and additional server variables as per the instructions:

SET ADMINCONSOLE=ws
     SET MASTERSERVER=bu

SET ADDITIONALSERVERS=b01,b02,b03

I run the script at a DOS prompt and it terminates after about 12 seconds. I find no installed NB software. The NetBackup Installation log file ends with the lines:

MSI (s) (40:28) [15:31:28:807]: Note: 1: 1708

MSI (s) (40:28) [15:31:28:807]: Product: Veritas NetBackup -- Installation operation failed.

MSI (s) (40:28) [15:31:28:807]: Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: Veritas NetBackup. Product Version: 6.5.0. Product  Language: 1033. Installation success or error status: 1603.

MSI (s) (40:28) [15:31:35:959]: Cleaning up uninstalled install packages, if any exist

MSI (s) (40:28) [15:31:35:959]: MainEngineThread is returning 1603

error 1603 is singularly unilluminating, it means "general failure". This may be a privilege issue (my account is not a local admin), but further up in the log file are the lines:

MSI (s) (40:28) [15:31:26:590]: Note: 1: 2235 2:  3: ExtendedType 4: SELECT `Action`,`Type`,`Source`,`Target`, NULL, `ExtendedType` FROM `CustomAction` WHERE `Action` = 'ShutDownProduct'

MSI (s) (40:3C) [15:31:26:621]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\WINDOWS\Installer\MSI19B.tmp, Entrypoint: ShutDownProduct

Action start 15:31:26: ShutDownProduct.

Executing: "C:\Program Files\VERITAS\\NetBackup\bin\bpdown.exe" -v -f

Executing: "C:\Program Files\VERITAS\\NetBackup\bin\admincmd\nbproxyreq.exe" -all

Executing: "C:\Program Files\VERITAS\\NetBackup\bin\admincmd\nbpemreq.exe"

Action ended 15:31:28: ShutDownProduct. Return value 3.

Action ended 15:31:28: INSTALL. Return value 3.

The VERITAS folder does not even exist, and I don't know why the above programs would be run. Maybe that is part of the problem? Any advice/help would be welcome. Log file attached.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

George_Reimer
Level 3

It develops that a technician from the "infrastructure group" who *does* have local admin access on my workstation was indeed able to instll the Admin Console.  It's the old 'security' vs. 'getting things done' dilemma....

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

George_Reimer
Level 3

It develops that a technician from the "infrastructure group" who *does* have local admin access on my workstation was indeed able to instll the Admin Console.  It's the old 'security' vs. 'getting things done' dilemma....

George_Reimer
Level 3