Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

snap shot error for the given transport mode error 23

manjula_srilank
Level 4
Certified

Dear all

please kindly help to resole this issue

my setup is netbackup 7.5.0.6 on top of windows 2008R2 standard.

I have succesfully configured above setup for the VMware backup. If I using "NBD" mode it is working smoothly.If I use "SAN" mode it say above error message.

I have connected to the VMDK LUN (storage) vis SAS cable from my backup server(all the VMDK LUNs visible to my backup server). My tape library also direct connect via SAS cable to the backup server. why this SAN mode not work via SAS path. I have done the same with FC and working SAN mode perfectly.

Thanks in advance

Manjula.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

It should be fine using SAS - so you need to look at all of your setting and how you have it setup

Perhaps the disks are set to read only mode which can cause issues with the backup - mentioned here:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH208628

although generally it says it has worked when it has not

Are you backing up the same client that you backed up using FC - just to be sure everything meets the general requirements

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

It should be fine using SAS - so you need to look at all of your setting and how you have it setup

Perhaps the disks are set to read only mode which can cause issues with the backup - mentioned here:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH208628

although generally it says it has worked when it has not

Are you backing up the same client that you backed up using FC - just to be sure everything meets the general requirements

manjula_srilank
Level 4
Certified

Thanks Mark and rk1074

i will do the needfull and let you know the result

manjula_srilank
Level 4
Certified

Thanks Mark

When I check the  SAN disk status, I can see one disk in 'online" status. I don not know how does this happen. then I vmotion my data store in to that online disk. SAN mode backup sucess.

Thanks Mark and RK1074.

then my question is How can i change all VMDK luns change my SAN policy in to online. this is running production Vmware DC system

thanks

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

The disks are usually set online in the O/S of the VMware backup host - not mounted or anything, just set as online

If you are doing this on a Windows VMware backup host dont forget you should have set the automount disable / scrub too

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

... then I vmotion my data store in to that online disk.

So... previously these disks had no datastores on them???

manjula_srilank
Level 4
Certified

No Marianne

previously that LUN can see as "unallocated"

Thanks

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

previously that LUN can see as "unallocated"

No wonder your SAN backups failed!

I guess you understand now that the backup host needs access to the datastores, not to  "unallocated luns"?