cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

storage life cycle policy

rohitrathore
Level 2

We have a master server and 3 media server in our enviornment all windows based.

All media servers have a msdp configured (pure disk). On one of the pools we are running out of space

NBU version. - 8 (Master server OS- Windows 2012)

OS on your media server. - Windows 2012

Can we create SLP and to fix this issue.

Please share steps to create SLP and or handy doc will be useful .

8 REPLIES 8

Amol_Nair
Level 6
Employee
Slp can only be used to duplicate the images from one storage to another (except basic disk).. That would not really have anything to do with your msdp full issue.. So I am not clear on how you plan to address your disk full issue with an SLP..

You would need to extend the space on the drive which is configured for msdp or expire old unwanted images to free up space..

Here is a link on how to configure SLP
https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/25074086-127355784-0/v42387615-127355784

Current msdp size is 58 TB and in windows it is limited to 64 TB only.

Images are dependent on one another, i dont think that will help.

We can duplicate images from MSDP to tape and reduce the retention of images in MSDP.

what images are dependent on which image exactly and what will not help? I am still not clear what exactly you are trying to achieve.. On one hand you say MSDP is full (solution is to either extend the drive or expire older unwanted images to free space) and on th other hand you say you want to use SLP to help in this case..

The only thing you can do with an SLP is to send backup to a particular storage and then automate the secondary copy from NetBackup.. In your case since your msdp is full you can’t use it for the backup operation in the SLP or any orher operation in an SLP configuration

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@Amol_Nair
'Image Dependencies is based on these topics in the Dedupe Guide:
Deleting backup images and About the MSDP data removal process
Extract:
The data removal process removes the data segments that comprise a NetBackup backup image. Only those segments that are not referred to by a(nother) backup image are removed.

@rohitrathore
The URL in @Amol_Nair's post explains how to create SLPs.
You will add a backup and duplication Operation in your new SLP.
You will specify STU and retention level for each operation.

Next, edit policies to select SLP instead of a Storage Unit.

If you want different retentions for e.g. Daily, Weekly, Monthly schedules, you need to create different SLPs for each and select the relevant SLP in the Schedule (the STU in Policiy Attributes will be ignored.

Please bear in mind that retentions will only apply to new backups after SLPs go into effect.

jhatfield
Level 1

SLPs would be used at the time of backing the data up to create multiple copies in multiple locations.  Since the data has already been backed up, the SLP process would no longer in play.  If you have a secondary storage location for the data to reside though (instead of the location that’s currently filling up), you might be able to use Vault Management to “vault” the data to that secondary location.  There’s a bit of setup that would be required to configure that, and I believe even a Vault Licensing requirement, but that might be an option for you: vault the data from the current location to the secondary location, then delete from the current location.

@Marianne Thanks :)

Was kind of confused if Rohit was referring to these dependencies i.e. the pointers from MSDP side or some other dependencies from NetBackup side as he initially mentioned that MSDP was full and to fix that issue he wanted to configure an SLP.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi @Amol_Nair

This discussion is actually a follow-up to this one: https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/Deduplication-pool/m-p/845989

So, the idea behind @rohitrathore's SLP config is to greatly reduce retention on MSDP.
This will obviously only apply to new backup post SLP-config and not help with existing backups on MSDP.

Thanks @Marianne

I missed the previous forum post hence could not get all the pieces together on this post when the questions came up.