Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trn and diff files are being created when Netbackup run

AndresV
Level 6
Partner    VIP   

Hi,

I have like 50 sql servers and I only have this problem with only one. 

When Netbackup runs for transaccional or differential jobs, trn and diff files are being created first on drive C any ideas?? 
This is weird because so far I know Netbackup never leave any files on sql server.

6 REPLIES 6

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Sure it is NBU and not dba's creating SQL dumps to local disk? Please check NBU dbclient log (if log folder does not exist, please create under netbackup\logs) as well as Windows Event Viewer Application log and SQL Errorlog.

AndresV
Level 6
Partner    VIP   

Hi Marianne,

Yes Im sure, because when a transaccional job run on netbackup Activity monitior a .tns file is created on local disk. Every job finished successfully

There is no error on event viewer, only a 18265 event. Actually this event is generated at the same time one for backup to disk (local disk) and one for backup to disk (policy storage) and of course the local drive is filling up.

vjuhola
Level 4
Partner

You have 50 SQL servers and only one is working differently. On 49 servers NetBackup is not creating any trn or diff files but on one server they appear mysteriously. That should ring a bell that most likely NetBackup is not creating them (or those 49 are not working properly).

Are you using batch scripts for backups or SQL Intelligent Policy? If batch script, could you share the one that is causing the issue?

I'm not an MSSQL expert but are there some parameters/configurations that could be made for a database that could generate logs every time a backup is run of it?

Marianne
Level 6
So, does this mean that dba's are also taking backups to disk? I was not expecting errors in SQL or Event Viewer logs - just evidence of SQL backups to disk apart from NBU agent backups. Have you checked if dbclient log folder exists on the client?

Michal_Mikulik1

Hello,

there is a feature called SQL backup mirroring on MS SQL side, but first all mirrors must be of the same type, and second I doubt that it can be used with 3rd party backup SW as a device.

However check if that SQL server is not part of some SQL advanced configuration, like Log Shipping, AlwaysOn, or Database Mirroring. That my guess only - however it is impossible to configure the described behaviour from NetBackup side.

Regards

Michal

Will_Restore
Level 6

trn and diff files are most certainly being created by MSSQL and not NetBackup.