cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unclear on configuring Amazon S3 as storage

NB-OPS
Level 4

Hi,

Envrionment: NetBackup 7.5.0.6 on Solaris 10 Sparc; both master and media server on the same system

I am looking into configuring NetBackup to work with Amazon Glacier or S3 to store backups but have some questions.

1. Based on "SymantecNetBackup™Cloud Administrator's Guide 7.5," p. 16:

About changing media servers for a storage server
Once you have specified a media server for a storage server, you cannot change the media server. This behavior is the result of the current OST plugin design.
Attempts to change the media server generate an authorization error.

Does it mean I need to have seperate media server because the existinig media server is already used for on-site VTL/physical tape library backups?

2. Can I create a Windows media server and add it to the existing setup? In other words, does it work well if I mix media servers on different OS's?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Does it mean I need to have seperate media server because the existinig media server is already used for on-site VTL/physical tape library backups

No, it is not necessarily means so. You can use thos media server as that for your cloud storage service. But it is better to deploy dedicated media server for cloud to off-load new cloud tasks from existing backup tasks.

2. Can I create a Windows media server and add it to the existing setup? In other words, does it work well if I mix media servers on different OS's?

Of course, you can as far as the platform and OS is supported.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Does it mean I need to have seperate media server because the existinig media server is already used for on-site VTL/physical tape library backups

No, it is not necessarily means so. You can use thos media server as that for your cloud storage service. But it is better to deploy dedicated media server for cloud to off-load new cloud tasks from existing backup tasks.

Of course, you can as far as the platform and OS is supported.

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hello,

NetBackup Cloud plugin works with Amazon S3.  Out plugin does not interface with Amazon Glacier.  There are other 3rd party devices/appliances that emulate an Advanced Disk or VTL to NetBackup, then transparently forward the data on to Glacier.

If you want to change the media server, then it looks like the solution would be to expire images/duplicate them some where else, delete storage unit, delete disk pool, delete storage server.

Then re-run the Cloud Configuration Wizard to rebuild Storage Server, Disk Pool, and Storage Unit with the new media server, and update Policies or SLPs.