cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vaulting frozen tapes

prats
Level 4

Hi,

We are using NBU 6.5 in our environment and sometimes we do encounter "media write" error and netbackup in turn freezes those tapes.

What I have noticed is that frozen tapes do not get vaulted.At our site the tapes are vaulted on a daily basis and are sent to offsite.The tapes which are frozen do have valid data on them from earlier backups( which are valid for restores) so its necessary that they are sent offsite.

But these tapes do not even appear on the picking list for the vault and the vault job is successful.

Is there anything that I am missing?

Regards

Prats

3 REPLIES 3

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

From the admin guide.

If you froze your media during the data restore process, use the bpmedia command to unfreeze it.
If you froze the media, you have to unfreeze the it so that it is recalled and returned to volume pool rotation when it expires. Vaulted media that are suspended are unsuspended automatically when they expire and are recalled.

and

Frozen backup tapes never expire. A backup tape that does not expire does not appear on the Picking List for Vault and is not be recalled from the vault.

So if the media wont be returned from the vault, its stands to reason that it also wont be placed into the vault. As you'll see from the first quote, which deals with the re-vaulting of media, if a media is frozen, it needs to be unfrozen to be re-vaulted.

Hope this helps.

HEMANPR
Level 6

The tape was frozen because phisical errors or problems Media Error (84).

Thats the reason why you don't get those frozen tapes on Vault Eject and don't are listed on picking list report.

Stumpr2
Level 6

change the media staus from FROZEN to SUSPENDED and run vaulting again.

BTW: frozen tapes may or may not be usable. I would consider using vault to attempt to make duplicates of all the images on the frozen tape onto a new tape and vault the new tape.