cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

_vxfiVspCacheFile_2.tmp - file generated by netbackup 5.1?

Stephan_Langbei
Level 4
My next problem with netbackup on a W2K-Server is, that during the backup a file was generated called _vxfiVspCacheFile_2.tmp. The file grow up to 2.5 GB on each disk on one server. The result is, that the volume rums out of diskspace and the server stoppt (server with a running oracle8.71 -database).
Its not possible to delete the file until the server will restarted. After restart, the file was deleted automaticly. Have somebody a idea, by witch reason the fie was generated (18 clients with the same client and OS don't show this problem).
9 REPLIES 9

Jeffrey_Redingt
Level 5
This file is created by VSP or the Veritas Snapshot Provider which replaces OTM in previous versions. If a problem is encountered (like the drive filling up) then this sort of thing can happen. You can either disable Windows Open File Backups on this client through the Host Properties of the master server by going to Client Attributes section and adding the name of the client and then going to the Windows Open File Backup tab after you have added and highlighted the client and then uncheck Enable Windows Open File Backups for this client. Or you can adjust the VSP settings for this client under the Host Properties|Clients and then double click on the client name and go to the Windows Client|VSP settings. You will be able to specify the minimum and maximum size of the cache file here as well as the cache file location if you want. For more information on VSP setting changes refer to pg.417 in the 5.0 System Admini Guide Vol.1.

Stephan_Langbei
Level 4
... so easy? But that was the reason, I test ist, and the file don't generated again. thanks a lot.
Stephan

kevcp
Level 2
We are having the same problem in 5.1, you need to set an exclusion in your antivirus software for *.tmp at the root of all volumes being backed up by NBU. what AV software are you using? is it Network associates 4.5 or earlier?

Jeffrey_Redingt
Level 5
Setting the exclusion doesn't always work but it is worth a try. There are many instances where there is a process other than Antivirus that maintains the lock on the vsp cache file and causes it not to be able to be removed. But that is something that can be tried and works in some circumstances.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Although main question has been answered, worth also reporting that you can remove the cache files from server without a reboot. Performed and tested OK. Just follow technote
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/270127.htm
Uses 3rd party Sysinternals Process Explorer to Close Handle on cache file.
Use the above as last resort, you can also use the bpfis.exe command which allows you to delete the cache file using the ID of the file in online_utils/fi_cntlMessage was edited by:
Stuart Green

Oyvind_Sonderby
Level 5
Ok. That's a solution. But I have 2 times seen that this VSP cache file increase in size after that jobs have failed (Because of network problems), so that the system disk finaly get full and the server stops.

This problem is citical.

patrickkuah
Level 6
sometime it cause by antivirus software running ... especially mcafee.. that's a solution for it if you are using mcafee..exclude the ssm.exe being scan by the antivirus software...

patrick

IP_Freely
Level 4
What I do on VSP clients is to use the RESKIT util Creatfil.exe to create a dummy file a gig or so. This can be deleted in a pinch when drive space get's low. Actually I use it on a lot of boxes that also write logs. The process explorer trick worls great too.

Oyvind_Sonderby
Level 5
I have Trend Server Protect as an antivirus solution. I have disabled *.tmp and *.vsp files on the root.