cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vxlogview

Arun_K
Level 6

I can do cat in /usr/openv/logs for the unified logs.
Is every thing fine.

I have heard that vxlogview is used for this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

It is fine, you can do cat, but it shows the 'raw logs' - so you don;t see all the information.

Here is the same log line, once using 'cat' and once using vxlogview (with -d all option) - you cann see there is much more information.

1,51216,219,111,60381,1396516910574,29676,64,0:,0:,31:ResourceEventMgr_i::updateInfo ,1,(1|S6:womble|)

04/03/14 10:21:50.574 [Diagnostic] NB 51216 rsrcevtmgr 219 PID:29676 TID:64 File ID:111 [No context] 1 V-219-1 [ResourceEventMgr_i::updateInfo ] Heartbeat received from host womble

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

It is fine, you can do cat, but it shows the 'raw logs' - so you don;t see all the information.

Here is the same log line, once using 'cat' and once using vxlogview (with -d all option) - you cann see there is much more information.

1,51216,219,111,60381,1396516910574,29676,64,0:,0:,31:ResourceEventMgr_i::updateInfo ,1,(1|S6:womble|)

04/03/14 10:21:50.574 [Diagnostic] NB 51216 rsrcevtmgr 219 PID:29676 TID:64 File ID:111 [No context] 1 V-219-1 [ResourceEventMgr_i::updateInfo ] Heartbeat received from host womble

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Well, good for you if you know what the raw log entries mean! The rest of us understand better once vxlogview has 'translated' the raw info. You may want to read up in Troubleshooting Guide about logging and in Commands manual about vxlogview. Even better: Follow Martin's example. Compare entries in your own logs with vxlogview output.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Yes I agree with Marianne, def easier when they have been processed through vxlog view. I picked, by chance a particularly 'unreadable' line ....

Here is another ...  'raw' line

0,51216,144,111,26855,1396519581118,29676,15,0:,99:Set host womble in heartbeat map with last heartbeat time 1396519581, and heartbeat interval is 300,32:DA_Thread_Pool::SetLastHeartBeat,1

... which probably contains enough info to not worry about vxlogview ...

So it can sometimes be worth a quich flick though in raw format, as you might get enough info to avoid having to run vxlog view.

Point to note that raw logs should be sent into Symantec, not processed.

M

Arun_K
Level 6

Thanks Man.

1....When I run vxlogview from /usr/openv/netbackup/bin ,it fetches logs from /usr/openv/logs.

2.....ANd if i have 3 days logs in /usr/openv/logs ,then then,vxlogview can only show 3 days

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

The answer can be found here:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH42794

Arun_K
Level 6

THanks Nicolai.

The following are some examples of how to use the vxlogview command to view unified logging.  The vxlogview command will query the log files stored in /usr/openv/logs for information based on any options passed to the command.  For servers with high logging levels and lots of activity the vxlogview command can take a long time to complete.  This delay will be more noticeable the further back the query has to search.  These searches will also contain many log entries and it is best practice to redirect the output to a file and then search that file for information once the vxlogview command completes.

Below is not clear.

2.....ANd if i have 3 days logs in /usr/openv/logs ,then then,vxlogview can only show 3 days

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Your post above looks like a copy & paste from 'somewhere'. 

Please tell us where you have copied it from?

Not sure what exactly is still unclear. The documentation and explanations in this post is quite clear.

If you have a particular problem that you are trying to troubleshoot, please let us know.

If your query is purely theoretical, it is time to let this go. Close this discussion by marking Martin's post as Solution and keep on reading, combined with testing the commands in your own environment.
Issuing vxlogview commands in a production is best to understand. It can do no harm as it simply displays log information.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Of course, if there are only 3 days of logs there is no way on earth you can show more than 3 days ...