Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ayodeji
Level 6
Certified

SAN MEDIA SERVERS ARE CLIENTS THAT HAVE MEDIA SERVER STATUS THAT HAVE DIRECT ACCESS TO THE STORAGE. THEY NEED NOT GO THRU ANY MEDIA SERVER, THEY GO THRU THE SAN DIRECTLY TO THE STORAGE. THIS IS USED IN SITUATION WHERE THE CLIENT IS A LARGE ONE. IT REDUCES PRESSURE ON THE MEDIA SERVER.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

ayodeji
Level 6
Certified

SAN MEDIA SERVERS ARE CLIENTS THAT HAVE MEDIA SERVER STATUS THAT HAVE DIRECT ACCESS TO THE STORAGE. THEY NEED NOT GO THRU ANY MEDIA SERVER, THEY GO THRU THE SAN DIRECTLY TO THE STORAGE. THIS IS USED IN SITUATION WHERE THE CLIENT IS A LARGE ONE. IT REDUCES PRESSURE ON THE MEDIA SERVER.

lax2212
Level 3
Thanks, appreciate it ..

lax2212
Level 3
Hope you can help us with this too, how to check if the tape is bad?

ayodeji
Level 6
Certified
IF A TAPE IS BAD, THE LIKELY THING THAT WILL HAPPEN IS THAT IT WILL GET FROZEN. IF YOU UNFREEZE AND IT RETURNS TO FROZEN STATE, THEN YOU WILL NEED TO EJECT THE MEDIA. 

lax2212
Level 3
This is from my recent interview .. in Veritas netbackup please tell me if there are 16 master servers how many media servers can be attached ?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

lax2212, I believe your original question was answered. Won't you please mark  Ayodeji's post as solution?

Your interview question seems like on of those that I would answer with a flood of counter questions:
Why would ANY organisation have 16 masters?
Are these masters Enterprise Server or just Server?
How many license keys are available?
There is no limit from NBU point of view in Enterprise environment. The only limitation will be resources on the master server.

lax2212
Level 3

Thanks for the info Marianne ..im new to forum .few weeks back i created an account here ..im quiet not sure how to post /flag solution here ..Please help me with the same .

The question interviewer asked was scenario based He was asking how many media servers can be connected to a master server ...

Please tell me if there are any minimum set of media servers required ?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

There is no minimum to the amount of media servers connected to a master. A master can be a media server as well - standalone master/media.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/hi-all-2

Were you both at the same interview? surprise