cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is the difference between netbackup 5.0 and netbackup9.1

mo_ali
Level 4
can someone please explain the difference between netbackup5.0 and netbackup 9.0. thanks.
6 REPLIES 6

Gerald_W__Gitau
Level 6
Certified
Did you mean Backup Exec 9.0?

mo_ali
Level 4
yes i meant backup exec 9.0

Tim_Biller_2
Level 3
Well, for a start there's no such thing as netbackup9.1.

So that's one major difference.

If you mean Backup Exec then the latest version is 10d. This link will tell you all you need to know:

http://eval.veritas.com/mktginfo/products/Sales_Docs/Data_Protection/bews_10d_datasheet_final.pdf

As for netbackup 5.0 the latest version is Netbackup 6.0. This link will prove similarly informative:

http://eval.veritas.com/mktginfo/products/Sales_Docs/Data_Protection/nbu_6_0_ent_server_dsht.pdf

Locating these two .pdf files took less than 10 seconds on the Veritas website. I hope they are helpful to you.

Tim

Gerald_W__Gitau
Level 6
Certified
Backup Exec is cool for small backup environment where tape management is not a problem. Also library support is not so cool in Backup Exec. Netbackup is the king when you have a big environment. It supports most of the available libraries and it does very well in managing the media. For example in Backup Exec you have to label your media Daily1, Daily2, Week1, Week2 etc. And then you have to make sure the correct media is in the library ie daily if you are doing daily backup.

In Netbackup, all these functions are performed by Nebackup and you don't have to worry about daily, weekly etc. You just have to make sure you have enough scratch media.

Let me know if I have enlighten you.

Stumpr2
Level 6
mo,
BackupExec is a windows platform product that is pretty much limited.
Netbackup is a true Enterprise backup solution that touches ALL relevent platforms. NetBackup also has agents for databases along with encryption and vaulting duplicate images. Although it is way more robust it is also way more expensive. Small to medium shop with mostly all window servers should probably investigating the use of BackupExec due to cost. Medium to large and heterogeneious environment should investigate Netbackup as an "Enterprise" solution.

Chuck_Stevens
Level 6
Backup Exec is considerably less expensive, too.

Also, Backup Exec does not support Encrypted Backups, in case you need those. (Seems a lot of financial institutions want these nowadays.)