cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amount of data (active data, <45 days) for a customer

George_Dicu
Level 4

Hi,

I have opened a new thread since the other one is closed.

I was asked by management to do the following:

A report for each customer in Netbackup, to reveal the amount of data within <=45 days for each customer.

• So for this one, i`m guessing if I take a 45 day interval within any month(latest), and then split them by customer, I can then see this?
  • Of course not expired data which can be revealed by Protected Data in OpsCenter, right?

And a 2nd report with the same this only the achive data >45 days for each customer.

• Which this can be a looong data generating report.But i`m guessing it shouldnt be that much since it only supposed to have unexpired data.
  • Is this report, relevant if I use Protected Data(which includes I guess all data protected/active) for >45 days, since Netbackup is in place?
  • we have a client with infinite retention..so I have to gather all data for this one.
  • We are using OpsCenter Analitics, so I can use this as I did before.

How can I do this? How can I exclude expired images form both reports?

//George

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi George,

Sorry for the delay, been a bit busy.

This should do it.

SELECT
domain_jobimage.clientname as "Client Name",
COALESCE(CAST(SUM(domain_image.sizeOfImageInKBytes)/1024.0/1024.0 AS NUMERIC (20,2)), 0) AS 'Protected Size (GB)'
FROM
domain_image, domain_jobimage
WHERE
domain_jobimage.imageid=domain_image.id
AND
DATEDIFF(day,UTCBigIntToNomTime(domain_image.writeEndTime), GETDATE()) <= 45
GROUP BY
"Client Name"

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

RiaanBadenhorst

select
domain_JobArchive.clientName as 'Client',
COALESCE(CAST(SUM(domain_JobArchive.preSISSize)/1024.0/1024.0/1024.0 AS NUMERIC (20,2)), 0) AS 'Protected Size (GB)'
FROM domain_JobArchive
WHERE DATEDIFF(day,UTCBigIntToNomTime(domain_JobArchive.endTime), GETDATE()) <= 45
GROUP BY "Client"

select
COALESCE(CAST(SUM(domain_JobArchive.preSISSize)/1024.0/1024.0/1024.0 AS NUMERIC (20,2)), 0) AS 'Protected Size (GB)'
FROM domain_JobArchive
WHERE DATEDIFF(day,UTCBigIntToNomTime(domain_JobArchive.endTime), GETDATE()) > 45
GROUP BY "Client"

George_Dicu
Level 4

So the 1st  query should represent all data from a given date, which have retention less then 45 days?

PLease note thte client for su represent the Policy name.

And the 2nd is a query representing all unexpired data but with more then 45 days retention?

Thnak you.

George

RiaanBadenhorst

Correct,

<= 45 is less than 45 days

> 45 is greater (older) than 45 days

You can replace

with

domain_JobArchive.policyName as 'Policy",

George_Dicu
Level 4

Thank you Rian,

One question, for the fist query, what do I have to add in order to say the start date.

1st report is base on a certain start date, let`s say 1st of last month.(management thinking...<45 days retention time, but within last month)

//George

RiaanBadenhorst

All reports are based on today, so up to 45 days from today, and 45 days and more from today.

George_Dicu
Level 4

One more question:

What does Protected Data Size actualy means: it reports un-deduplicated data regardless of its expiration from a particular time frame?

And what does active data, shoud report only protected data size and unexpired from a particular time frame, is it correct?

How do you think I can reveale active data in opscenter?

//George

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

Protected is my own term, basically OpsCenter (and NetBackup) records to sets of figures in the job archive, BytesWritten and PreSisSize. It does this because of deduplication. Pre(SingleInstanceStorage)Size is the amount that reflects the REAL amount of Data as it is on your client. BytesWritten is the amount that is stored once deduplication has taken place.

What do you mean with Active Data?

George_Dicu
Level 4

Hi,

I saw Protected Size in OpsCenter too.

Active Data is data that has less then 45 days of retention and its not expired within a period of time.

Lets say I want to know how much data a customer has, and I take time-frame of last month.

But this clients has retention of 1month, 2months and 3months, that means some of the data with > 45 days is archive data, based on our company calculations.

So for this client all data within that month, but with retention less then 45 days, is Active Data, of course we exclude expired data within that month.

Is this possible?

//George

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

Sorry but I still don't understand the distinction you're making between active (<45) and archive (>45). I understand its logical way your company (which I presume is a service provider) looks at it, but how does it relate to the netbackup storage? Is the data kept on disk for active and tape for archive or something like that?

George_Dicu
Level 4

HI,

Well the data that have less then 45 days retention (and it`s not expired) is called Active Data

And the data that has more then 45 days retention (and it`s not expired) is called Archive Data.

Do I have an operator in the report who can tell OPSCenter to show me only the unexpired data whithin this retention periods??

I am affraind if I choose a no time basis report based on retention level it will show me all backups that had this retention (>45 days or <45 days) regardeless if it`s expired or not. SO in this way i wil have a huuuuuge report, maybe a stuck report which I usualy have.

//George

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi George,

Sorry for the delay, been a bit busy.

This should do it.

SELECT
domain_jobimage.clientname as "Client Name",
COALESCE(CAST(SUM(domain_image.sizeOfImageInKBytes)/1024.0/1024.0 AS NUMERIC (20,2)), 0) AS 'Protected Size (GB)'
FROM
domain_image, domain_jobimage
WHERE
domain_jobimage.imageid=domain_image.id
AND
DATEDIFF(day,UTCBigIntToNomTime(domain_image.writeEndTime), GETDATE()) <= 45
GROUP BY
"Client Name"