cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow VVR replication with Space Optimized snaps at secondary

John_Power
Level 2

We have a VVR implementation and we are currently experiencing about 40MB/Sec throughput to the secondary via a trunked dual GigE link  from a Solaris 9 E6900 through a 10GigE intersite link to another Sun E6900 (Sol 9). We are currently tuning this to increase the throughput but for the moment it is adequate.

Problem is if we do a Space Optimized snapshot at the DR site to do firedrill testing or backup the replication rate drops to 10MB/Sec. This happens before we even attempt to use the snapshot just having it causes an issue. This also occurs when we run a instant full snap at DR. We have increased the size of the NMCOM buffer from 4MB to 32MB but all that does is delay the replication slow down for while.

The storage at DR is an EMC DMX4500 and we have tried testing writes to it with no issues at all. The E6900  is doing nothing but processing VVR traffic.

Anybody else seen this issue with Space Optimised snaps at the VVR secondary.

TIA

John

2 REPLIES 2

John_Power
Level 2
Further to my post. Does anybody actually use SO snaps at the Secondary without any issues with replication? I would be interested to know as we have tried various tuning options to no avail and we are waiting for Symantec support to get back to us, they can't reproduce the problem because their replication link is only 10BaseT :-(!!!

I would like some level of comfort that this will actually work at some time. If not I am going to investigate using EMC snaps at the DR site.

John

springer
Level 4
John

Just wondering did u get a reply on this and how are u getting on with problem