Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VVR query for DB2 volume replication

Majid
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi,

We are currently doing replication for DB2 database and logs volume for one of our clients using VVR and the replication is working fine without any issues, however there is a requirement from the customer side where he wants to do some reporting operations on the secondary DB2 server. Now during active replication VVR allows read/write to only the primary volume. I can give the volume on the secondary server a drive letter and see the contents, but since this volume is in control of VVR, DB2 does not even connect as it cannot even read from the volume. So if any operation has to be done on the secondary server either i have to switch the secondary to be primary in VVR or i have to break the RDS. Is there any way that while the replication is running we can utilize the secondary i.e. connect to it and generate reports from it?. I am using SFW 5.1 SP1. Appreciate the help and tips.

Thanks,

Majid.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

g_lee
Level 6

If you need to access data on the secondary while replication is active, you can use snapshots (requires license), or you can create mirrors for the volumes and break the mirrors to use as standalone volumes.

From Veritas Storage Foundation 5.1 SP1 Volume Replicator Administrator's Guide (Windows)

(link: https://sort.symantec.com/public/documents/sf/5.1SP1/windows/pdf/VVR_Admin_51SP1.pdf )

Administering VVR -> Accessing data on secondary host (pp227-229)
--------------------
You can access data on the Secondary while replication is active by creating volumes with mirrors and breaking off the mirrors or by taking snapshots of all the data volumes in the RVG.

Note: A valid license for Storage Foundation FlashSnap must be present on all the systems on which you want to use the snapshot operations.

See “Understanding VVR support for Flashsnap” on page 61.

Once the mirrors are broken off, these are stand-alone volumes and the data on them can be accessed for read-write operations. The advantage with snapshot volumes is that these volumes are associated to the original volume and you can reattach them back to the original volume.
--------------------

Refer to the guide for details/steps to create the mirror break-off or snapshot.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

g_lee
Level 6

If you need to access data on the secondary while replication is active, you can use snapshots (requires license), or you can create mirrors for the volumes and break the mirrors to use as standalone volumes.

From Veritas Storage Foundation 5.1 SP1 Volume Replicator Administrator's Guide (Windows)

(link: https://sort.symantec.com/public/documents/sf/5.1SP1/windows/pdf/VVR_Admin_51SP1.pdf )

Administering VVR -> Accessing data on secondary host (pp227-229)
--------------------
You can access data on the Secondary while replication is active by creating volumes with mirrors and breaking off the mirrors or by taking snapshots of all the data volumes in the RVG.

Note: A valid license for Storage Foundation FlashSnap must be present on all the systems on which you want to use the snapshot operations.

See “Understanding VVR support for Flashsnap” on page 61.

Once the mirrors are broken off, these are stand-alone volumes and the data on them can be accessed for read-write operations. The advantage with snapshot volumes is that these volumes are associated to the original volume and you can reattach them back to the original volume.
--------------------

Refer to the guide for details/steps to create the mirror break-off or snapshot.

Majid
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Thanks Lee for the response. I was thinking on the same lines, but needed a confirmation as I have never done this before. Will try the same on my Lab and check it out. Thanks again.

Majid.