Did you mean: 

File Sharing problem in storage foundation 5.0

Zahid_Haseeb
Partner    VIP    Accredited
i am using Storage Foundation 5.0 with Windows2003 Server R2 operating system

Storage Foundation  configuration

2 diskgroup with 3 hardisk drives

1.) Basic Disk Group = 2 drives = 4 partition
2.) UsersData Disk Group = 1 drive = 2 partitions (from 2 partitions the one partition is SRL logs)

Problem

My 2nd disk group has a share folder on its partition and when my PC gets restart my sharing folder gets unshare so i have to re share it again on daily basis when i switch on my PC. how can i fix it.

Thanks in Advance
Zahid Haseeb
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

alienjoker
Level 3
Hi all,

I encountered the exact same problem using iSCSI array and also an HDS AMS 1000 (FC) SAN in association with RDMs and VMware behind VEA.

To rectify the issue with disappearing shares, initially I enabled the latestart feature which did bring the drives online automatically, however the Shares were always unavailable until restarting the server service.

To automatically get around this and present the disks and shares with no user intervention, I changed the service dependencies to ensure that once the Veritas DG Delayed Import Service had started, it was only at that point that the LANManserver server (or Server service) starts and subsequently presents the file shares.

To do this, you'll need to make a change to your registry, although this isn't difficult.

Open up Regedit and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver

In here, you need to enter a new REG_MULTI_SZ entry (right click, New, Multi-String Value)
In the name of the Multi-String Value, enter "DependOnService" and in the Data field, enter the service name for Veritas DG Delayed Import Server name which is by default "VxDgDI" (do not include the quotes).

Once you have completed this, restart the computer and you'll find that the diskgroups import, and lo and behold, the shares are also available!

Please see attached image for a registry extract.

Thanks

Andrew Mancey

service.JPG

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Daniel_Schnack
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified
Is the shared folder that you have to recreate the share every day on your workstation or on the server? Client computers that connect to the remote file share (on a  remote computer) should not be unsharing a folder on the remote server (when connecting to a share that is on a Storage Foundation for Windows volume do not act any differently than a share that is on a Microsoft Windows basic disk or Windows dynamic disk).

Does anyone else experience this issue when they reboot their client computer?
Is the file share controlled by any clustering software (Veritas Cluster Server or Microsoft Cluster Services)?

Zahid_Haseeb

HI Daniel Let me know you in more detail

Storage Foundation  configuration

2 diskgroup with 3 hardisk drives on a Server

1.) Basic Disk Group = 2 drives = 4 partition
2.) UsersData Disk Group = 1 drive = 2 partitions (from 2 partitions the one partition is SRL logs)

Problem

My 2nd disk group has a shared folder on its partition and when my Server(on which SF5.0 installed) gets restart my sharing folder gets unshare so i have to re share it again (just share again but the folder itself exist) on daily basis when i switch on my PC. how can i fix it.

Daniel_Schnack
Level 4
There may be a few issues involved, so lets start with the file share on the server. What kind of disk group is the UsersData disk group (in the VEA, if you look at the properties of the disk group, is a Dynamic Secondary, or a Dynamic Cluster)? Do you have to manually import the disk group after the server is rebooted?

If you have to manually import the disk group after the server restarts, it sounds like this is a Dynamic Cluster disk group (which requires a clustering software to import it and will to automatically import). If this is the case, see the following technote for more information:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/303028.htm

Also, are you the only one afftected by this, or do all file shares have to be recreated?

I look forward to your reply,

Daniel

Zahid_Haseeb
i dont have cluster disk group.

Basically what was happening with me. Actually my UserData disk group was not being imported automatically after restart the PC/Server. so i used a command with the help of this forum "vxdg -g DGname latestart on"  , then my Diskgroup started importing after restart the PC/Server. i am thinking that the diskgroup import when the windows boots completely thats why the folder cant be share. if me right then the DIskGroup shoul be import b4 the window boots completely.

Thanks in Advance

Daniel_Schnack
Level 4
Are you using iSCSI? If you are not using iSCSI LUNs, then you should not have to use the latestart feature and the disk group should import automatically during the boot cycle (this is the job of vxboot.sys).

If the disk group is not a cluster disk group and you are not useing iSCSI LUNs, it sounds like there is another issue occurring with the server that is causing the disk group not to import normally during the boot cycle. You should probably open a case with Support so they can assist you with this issue.

At least with the latest response I can tell you that because the disk group is not importing automatically during the boot cycle, and you have to use the VxDG Latestart option so the disk group imports, the file shares will not be created. The OS creates the file shares during the boot cycle AFTER vxboot.sys executes (so all disk groups can be imported, volumes can be mounted, and drive letters / mount points assigned), but BEFORE the VxDG Latestart service starts. Once you can get the disk group to import automatically during the boot cycle, you will no longer have to create the file shares every time you reboot the server.

I hope that this helps you out.

Thank you,

Daniel

Zahid_Haseeb
Yes i am using ISCSI

Jay_Kim
Level 5
Just to add my 2 cents..

I haven't tested it myself but I don't think the diskgroup not being auto-imported during boot has anything to do with the shares disappearing.
Windows keeps all the share information in the registry key. Nothng more. Default location as below:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\LanmanServer\Shares

After you create the share, can you see it as an entry in the above location?
Does the share keys get removed after the reboot?
Maybe there's some policy currently which removes the shares each reboot?

Zahid_Haseeb
My share name is UserData.
i created share folder and restarted the system. still i see that again my shared folder got unshare. i am also sending you the snapshot of registery after restart the PC.
( Yes i can see the entry of share after reboot the PC but the sharing hand is not under the folder which i shared and the folder is also not shared after reboot the PC )

2009-09-28_103504.jpg

alienjoker
Level 3
Hi all,

I encountered the exact same problem using iSCSI array and also an HDS AMS 1000 (FC) SAN in association with RDMs and VMware behind VEA.

To rectify the issue with disappearing shares, initially I enabled the latestart feature which did bring the drives online automatically, however the Shares were always unavailable until restarting the server service.

To automatically get around this and present the disks and shares with no user intervention, I changed the service dependencies to ensure that once the Veritas DG Delayed Import Service had started, it was only at that point that the LANManserver server (or Server service) starts and subsequently presents the file shares.

To do this, you'll need to make a change to your registry, although this isn't difficult.

Open up Regedit and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver

In here, you need to enter a new REG_MULTI_SZ entry (right click, New, Multi-String Value)
In the name of the Multi-String Value, enter "DependOnService" and in the Data field, enter the service name for Veritas DG Delayed Import Server name which is by default "VxDgDI" (do not include the quotes).

Once you have completed this, restart the computer and you'll find that the diskgroups import, and lo and behold, the shares are also available!

Please see attached image for a registry extract.

Thanks

Andrew Mancey

service.JPG

Daniel_Schnack
Level 4
Andrew has hit this right on the head.

Below is the technote that discusses how to ocnfigure a disk group to use the Veritas DG Delayed Import service. Once you have this configured, follow his instructions to have the Server service (Lanmanserver) dependant on the  Veritas DG Delayed Import service.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/273694.htm
Disk groups created on iSCSI storage do not auto import in Veritas Storage Foundation for Windows.

Daniel

Zahid_Haseeb
Thanks all for your kind replies

Daniel the suggesstion which you have purposed, i have already done bcuz i got DG delay problem earlier but after resolving that issue i was facing the sharing problem which has been resolved by the Andrew Mancey reply,

Thanks again to all guys